1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cathy Henkel leaving Seattle Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All I can say is that when I applied for a columnist's vacancy there some years back, Henkel was super extra considerate of me, spending her valuable time on career counseling for me after turning me down.
    PS: Moddy, I heard the very same thing about the "some say" construction, but not from an editor-from Red Auerbach. Never used it again, either.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My guess is the editor stole it straight from Red - hey, steal from the best!

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

As hard as it is for women to ascend into the sports editor's ranks, I'm sad to know there's one less woman in that role now.

Good luck on your next endeavor, Cathy Henkel.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've heard countless stories about Ms. Henkel over the years, good and bad...

Any way you felt about her, this is just another example of a very high profile journalist getting out of the business and that's never a good thing.

5. Moderator1

Well, if there's an "over the years" involved, odds are better than excellent you'll hear some good and some bad. No way you don't piss off a few in that kind of time.
    Hell, I was an SE for all of 461 days and it was more than long enough to generate some "heard some bad."

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

Actually, I heard you were a god.

7. Moderator1

You must have missed the rest of the quote after god.
    I think damn and mo-fo were in there, too.

And that was from someone who liked me.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the times once put out a kick-ass section for many years under this person's watch. i think that fact speaks volumes.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know a lot of great papers where the SE is an absolute clown.

Even the most beloved SEs make enemies on their staff.

I have two close friends who work for the same paper with a very high profile and well-respected SE. One would take a bullet for the guy and the other would like to put a bullet in the guy.

I think it's like that at most places.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

MG, all i was saying was the person was lead in putting out a quality section for many years.

11. Moderator1

Yep.
    And these two guys would switch places the next day, or maybe later in the afternoon.

12. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

I think most folks, including Cathy Henkel, would say the credit of what used to be a very good section should go to the people, not the person of the seattle times.

She hired some very good people who made that section great, and now, unfortunately, it is falling apart because of the financial situation of the paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted