1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic university has the gall to hang crucifixes in classrooms!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ashy Larry, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Boston College has decided to hang crucifixes in its classrooms.....and guess what, people are offended!

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/2009_02_12_Boston_College_in_the_crosshairs:_Outrage_over_crucifixes_hung_in_classrooms/srvc=home&position=0

“There is no choice if you don’t think it’s appropriate. You can’t turn it around,” said biology professor Dan Kirschner, faculty adviser for BC’s chapter of Hillel, a Jewish student group. “I think it is being insensitive to the people of other faith traditions here.”

“I can hardly imagine a more effective way to denigrate the faculty of an educational institution,” he is quoted as saying. “The insult is particularly scathing, since such symbols were installed without discussion . . . in a disturbingly surreptitious manner.”

Professor Kirschner, shut up and quit if it's so inappropriate. You work for a Catholic school.....if they choose to display a symbol of their religion, they can. A student in the article talks about tolerance and how these crucifixes are pushing catholicism on students. How about being tolerant of the religion of the college you chose to attend?

Few things bother me more than people complaining about tolerance, when in reality they show none. How long until a Professor at Notre Dame asks the school remove touchdown Jesus?

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Re: Catholic university has the gall to hang crucifxes in classrooms!!!!!

Wow. That's a pretty ridiculous accusation, considering that professor chose to work at a Catholic school.

Don't like it? Move.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yeah, pretty much.

You work - or attend as a student - at an institution that has attached itself to a religion, you're going to see that religion's symbols.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I have no problem with a private school doing this.

PS- Don't make its possessive with an apostrophe, Larry :D

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

My mom was telling me about this. I don't get what the big deal is - it's a private school, a Catholic university. They should be able to do what they please. I'd never attend BC because of this, but those who enroll should expect it.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Because of what, they're dirty catholics?

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

You is correct Prof.Diabeetus.....I mades the changes because I be proud of my grammar, and thats gonna be the last time you see any errors on my writing. ;)

8. Re: Catholic university has the gall to hang crucifxes in classrooms!!!!!

^^^ Now go upstairs and put on some lotion!

"OOOOOhhhhhh man, she gonna kill me..."

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

crucifixes is still spelled wrong.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Also, how is a fucking cross on a wall "offensive?"

Have we become so sissified?

I was raised Catholic and have become more of a simple Deist or Unitarian, but this is beyond ridiculous. Do people cry foul when they see a Jewish person wearing a yarmulke? Are they offended when they watch television and stumble across a Muslim doing one of his daily prayers?

Do we have to be offended by every fucking thing we see? I'm a pretty liberal person, but this is just silly.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

You're apparently not liberal enough if you can't be offended at the drop of a hat.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I'm tired ok? BTW...you should capitalize the first word in a sentence. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted