1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic hospital kills lawsuit by arguing fetus is not a person

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

From all that I can tell is the hospital did care for the fetuses. It didn't abort them. Pretty much according to the story they died with the mother. It's not like they said, oh the mom is dead, let's now let the babies die. No hospital Catholic or not would do that.

The rest can't be argued and I don't neccessarily disagree with you. I'm just saying from a little experience in the area the business and legal side of this -- who work for CHI, not the church -- are covering their own asses and the church likely had no knowledge of the direction those actions were taking. Of course it's against what they stand for. Right or wrong the church has actually seperated itself from hospitals in similar situations.

What's funny, as I said earlier, it doesn't sound like the dad has much of a case, especially if the hospital well documented that the babies had no heart tones. But the organization probably doesn't want to go to court or settle.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Definitely a good question.

3. Ben needs to take Norrin's reading comprehension class.

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

This is a hospital that cloaks itself in Catholicism - http://www.catholichealthinit.org/chi-history. It is part of an organization that expected a faith based exception to the provision of contraceptives to non-Catholic employees under the Affordable Care Act. That the lawsuit doesn't involve the Church itself is irrelevant to the hypocrisy demonstrated by this Catholic hospital.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Are Catholic hospitals directly governed by the church, or do they just get funding from it?

Draft saved Draft deleted