1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catfight! Aikman vs. Esiason

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Boomer called out Troy the other day on being a Cowboy homer ...

http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k30ydaPRZIPqiCNR4l

Aikman responds on the Ticket on Thursday .... "Consider the source."

http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/cowboys/2008/10/aikman-fires-back-at-boomer.html

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what "consider the source" means, unless he's referring to the fact that Boomer, an ex-Cardinals player, was talking about a Cardinals game. And in that case, I really don't think Boomer is a Cardinals homer. Bengals, yes.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I should've added Aikman had plenty more to say, but nobody seems to have the audio clip.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why on earth SHOULDN'T Troy Aikman be a homer for the Cowboys? He was one of the greatest players in the history of the damn team. All football fans know this. I discount for that fact when I listen to Aikman do a Dallas game, and frankly, I don't think he lets it show too much. Ever the fusspot as a QB, he's pretty nitpicky on both sides. Makes him a pretty good color man.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trot Aikman couldn't carry Danny White's jock strap.

6. God. Boomer can shut up any time he wants.
    The NFL's answer to Curt Schiling.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I hate the Cowboys and I always get their games around here, but I'll say this about Aikman - he's pretty damn good. He tells it like it is.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i don't think there's a any question that aikman loses a bit of credibility when he does cowboys games. if FOX wanted to be really legit, it would not have him do their games. but it's inescapable since he's their top analyst and dallas is their top draw.

i'm not saying troy is biased. just that his connection to the 'boys is too strong to ignore. such is life in the nfl broadcasting world.

as for my personal taste, my issues with troy have zero to do with his cowboys pedigree. i just think he's boring as hell. does the man EVER smile? it's football. have some fun. lighten up a bit, big fella.

9. jobu

jobu Member

In The Dallas Morning News, Aikman was quoted as saying that he'd worry about it if it came from someone he respected.

And I like him as a commentator, though he does drive me nuts with all the superfluous "whats" he throws into his sentences. Such as, "They're playing much better than <b>what</b> they did last week." Constantly.

10. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Aikman, like Terry Bradshaw, was wildly over-rated as a player. Seems he's followed his footsteps into broadcasting suckitude, too. Says lots of insightful stuff, but he's so monotone and boring to listen to that is cancels out his insight.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'll say this--he's a much better color man than Simms, who struggles to string sentences together. And sure, sometimes he's dry, but he always gives solid analysis, which is all I want when I'm watching a game.

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

It always seems to me like Aikman tries too hard to distance himself from any Cowboy homerisms when he broadcasts their games. I always find myself thinking he's going too much the other way.

Anyway, I don't like him as a color guy. Something my dad has pointed out while watching games he broadcasts is that Aikman's voice gets higher and higher every year. It's so much higher-pitched now it's not even like the same guy that played QB for Dallas in the 90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted