1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Casting call: Who Plays Tony LaRussa in the movie?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gold, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

who gets this role...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/11/03/la_russas_book_to_be_turned_into_movie/

2. Garner

Garner Member

That's a ridiculous book to base a movie off of.

They could have a chimp sitting in a diner, ordering rhubarb pie and twitching for all I care. I can see it now, the opening scene. The chimp is sitting on the floor of the Cardinals dugout, old lineup cards are strewn about, and he has to make a choice whether to bring in Eduardo Perez or Wilson Delgado to lay down a sac bunt. Oh, the wrenching drama. Gag me with a spatula.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

'What's the big deal? I've had movies based on my life. In fact, I've had three movies based on my life, man.' [/Willie Randolph]

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Jim Carrey.

5. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

Patrick McDermott. Presuming he's still alive, I'm sure he's looking for work.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agree with what was said above: Horrible book to base a movie off of.

They don't have a director, don't have a lead, they're looking for "a stadium that we can cheat with" to play old Busch (I'm thinking of the cringe-worthy decision to use the uber-recognizable Camden Yards as "Cleveland Stadium" in Major League II), and frankly, La Russa is an admittedly boring guy. Manager with a law degree = boring movie character.

That said, tremendous book to read. Can't deny that at all. La Russa makes a fascinating subject ... for a book. Not a movie.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Brilliant!

I'd cast Tom Cruise. His overacting is about the only way to pull off LaRussa's pretentiousness. "You see, man, I crunched the numbers, OK, and I came up with Adam Wainwright as our closer for the postseason, man! I love cats!"

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Tom Sizemore.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

He has to get out of jail, get out of rehab and avoid beating up any women on the way to the set first.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My god, did that first picture come straight from Stormfront Studios' "Tony La Russa 3" computer baseball game, circa 1992? :) :D ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted