1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Casting a Blue Chips remake

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Ballsy move for a newbie to resurrect a 12-year-old thread on his very first post.

Fetch beers anyway, kid. And welcome to the show. :cool:

2. Jason Waswick

Jason Waswick New Member

Yea I was just searching for for a good sports movie to watch and well, I ended up here somehow. Didn’t realize it was an old thread till after I made my first post, lol oh well, still a great movie..

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it in years. Thought it was OK.

Can't believe Matt Nover didn't get nominated.

And I'll NEVER get over seeing Bobby Hurley wearing an Indiana uniform. Offensive.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Seems like a rare movie that actually deserves a reboot. I think there's a way to make that into a great movie. Asking Shaq to act was not that way.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fun Fact: If you watch a trailer for Blue Chips you'll see a clip of GD Spradlin telling Nolte the program's not getting the same quality players they used to. But the scene didn't make it into the final film - which is fun because Spradlin was in One on One which was also set at "Western University." as the head coach.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Ed O'Neill uses a post-game presser to fire off a question about his long-running investigative work on illegal recruiting.

Damn it that scene always pissed me off.

Batman and Hermes like this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But if he didn't ask, then he wouldn't be doing his job!

Batman and Justin_Rice like this.
  8. DanOregon

Imagine Woodward and Bernstein springing their Watergate scoops at a Nixon presser.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Handed away a great scoop to all the other reporters in attendance. His editor should be PISSED.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. DanOregon

What I find really disgusting in that last scene is people applauding at a presser. Fans should not be allowed at a presser. And O'Neil's scoop was asking Bell to comment on "a rumor." What kind of BS is that?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The only way that scene makes any sense is if there's a deleted scene where they're talking about a potential scandal brewing in the lead up to the Indiana game. Ed O'Neill's character (call him "Dutch" since I can't remember the character's actual name and because I liked that movie) obviously had the scoop, so maybe they had delivered the goods that day or week. Dutch knew somebody was going to ask about it -- and also knew he had Bell dead to rights -- and went ahead and made it him so he could be the one to ask.
    With those kinds of stories, the comments from the university and the coach are pretty much a formality and a courtesy, aren't they? The real reporting has been done by that point, the coach/school are most likely going to give a no comment or issue a carefully worded statement, and everybody keeps doing what they need to do. So if Dutch's paper had already published his story with the allegations then it makes some bit of sense.
    If none of that is the case, then Dutch needed to be fired by sunrise and covering Pete Bell's high school team six months later.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted