1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Casting a Blue Chips remake

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

They should remake Chips.

Ponch: Gerardo
    Jon: Nick Lachey
    Precinct commander: Tom Coughlin

2. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Aren't they already, with the Spanish kid who was railing the high, holy Christ out of Lindsey Lohan as Jon?

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I dunno ... it'd be pretty entertaining to see the "Bad Santa" Billy Bob play this role ... one of his rants would make Bobby Knight look like he's on mega doses of Prozac ... :)

4. Jason Waswick

Jason Waswick New Member

I’m thinkin Al Pacino in the Nolte role, or even better Leah Remini!

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You think any of the coaches who had cameos in a movie that purportedly was a call to decry the corruption in college hoops even noticed or blinked? Pitino, Boeheim, Tarkanian, George Ravelling, Nolan Richardson....or maybe they were consultants on the how it is done part.

And you know, it always blew my mind that they never mentioned Western U. great Henry Steele and coach Moreland Smith in the movie. Would have been great if Shelton threaded a reference in to the script. I mean, it wasn't like Pete Bell was the first coach who skirted the rules.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  6. Jason Waswick

Jason Waswick New Member

I live about a half hr from the high school auditorium they used as the western u field house in the movie, it’s still surreal every time I drive by.

7. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

Blue Chips was such a great documentary.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My favorite scene was when the season ended and the coaching staff sat down to decide who they wanted to recruit for next year. Because that's exactly how it works.

Donny in his element and Tweener like this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Coach...
    Emmert from The Americans
    Kevin Bacon
    Steve Carrell
    Denzell - Georgetown

Durant and Curry are the players maybe the Swedish kid on the Bulls.

The Rock - sleezy alumni or agent

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Would Blue Chips even get made today? I'd find it hard to believe a coach making six or seven figures is going to be that upset about winning games with kids getting paid by a booster. The only thing that would upset him would be the kids getting caught.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

This is great, don't remember this thread, but remember PopeDB. He had an ask drunk Pope
    thread one night that was good, wish I could remember more of it but I was drunk also.
    Jason Waswick, how did you find this thread? Guessing you did a search for Blue Chips.
    The most recent post before today was from 06. What this on like page 475?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ed O'Neill's part would be filled by whatever 20-something actor the producers could get for scale, or just by promising him he would get exposure from being in a movie.

Deskgrunt50 and Tweener like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted