1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Casper Star-Tribune (Casper, Wyo.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by philly fanatic, Apr 5, 2007.

1. who left

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

;)

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Star-Tribune is about the only "smaller" paper I can think of that tries to cover an entire state and is read in most of that state --- and not a small one at that. For most of Wyoming, the CS-T is the morning paper.

4. Paging azom ...
    How many sports staffers (writers, designers and editors) are there? It appears to be five on the Web site: Sports editor, high school sports coordinator and three reporters. Is that correct?

5. azom

azom Member

Normally we have six on staff. SE, high school coordinator (me) and four reporters. The six of us split the desk work, although some work the desk more than others... Try to play to strengths wherever we can.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

I heard (on good terms) that this place doesn't pay shit for writers, banking that they think a beat coverage at a major state paper would be jumped at short-term on the way to better things.

Which might be a good reason to go there. Just don't expect a) to grow a family or b) be an active participant in Wyoming's good life.

I know several 15Ks that pay better.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

starting with what craphole in arkansas?

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Huh?

9. m2spts

m2spts Member

What's all this negativity about Casper?
    A close friend worked there, daughter-in-law and husband went to school in Laramie and say Casper is pretty cool, housing is affordable and the paper is one of the best.

10. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

I'm sure Wyoming isn't everyones idea of a "hot spot" but the description of that paper seems more than worth it to me.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sorry, that was abstract.

what i should have said was: why the hatin' on casper? yes it's a small paper (as far as numbers are concerned), yet it thinks big and is pretty damned good. also, if you know of a few like-sized papers that pay more, i bet they are located in hell and read like shit.

12. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

thinking big and reading pretty is what I like about this paper...hope they give me the opp. for an interview. I mean yea I know the climate I live in now (florida) is pretty much as opposite as it gets, but I own plenty of sweaters(parents in virginia still havent figured out I moved to florida) and it would be more than worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted