1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cartoons

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 20, 2007.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Lot of the stuff has been mentioned before.
    In no particular order, TMNT, Family Guy, Simpsons, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021, Venture Bros., Futurama, Frisky Dingo, Metalocolypse, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Garfield and Friends, South Park, Bevis and Butt-Head.

Oh, and did anyone ever watch Freakazoid? Great stuff!

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!"

--------------

amraeder, I'm right there with you on Freakazoid. Tiny Toons, Animaniacs (the best of the bunch, IMO) and Freakazoid made for quite the 90 minutes.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Growing up me and my friends loved the NickToons (yes, I'm a 90's kid, born in '88)...

I'll stand by my belief that Nickelodeon's Doug is one of the best cartoons ever made. It was brilliant. Sad what Disney did to it. Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, Ren and Stimpy, The Angry Beavers, AHH! Real Monsters, Rocko's Modern Life...good times.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I watched Rugrats and Doug, though wasn't in love with either.
    Ren and stimpy was good stuff.
    couldn't getin into Angry Beavers, or AHH!
    Forgot about Rocko. My brother and I, some how, can still break into a rendition of the Recycling song.
    (R-e-c-y-c-l-e recycle. C-o-n-s-e-r-v-e conserve. Don't p-o-l-l-u-t-e, pollute the river, sky or sea, or else you're going to get, what you deserve.)

5. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Kevin Smith was fighting with the network over that before it even hit the air, so it was doomed no matter what.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Can't forget about the cartoon made for about $5 an episode: Clutch Cargo. If you don't remember the name, you remember the characters' creepy red lips.

http://www.toontracker.com/clutchcargo/cargo.htm

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A Clerks cartoon would have to be either late night/overnight or a premium channel deal so they could go uncensored. Apparently there's a Clerks cartoon movie in the works, which will probably be pretty good.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Loves me some Tom and Jerry, but I also love Dastardly and Muttley.

I grew up watching Captain Caveman, which I haven't seen in years. The last time I saw Dastardly and Muttley was a few years ago at about 3 in the morning.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think that's been in the works for a while. Smith mentioned it on his second Evening with Kevin Smith DVD. I'll run to the theater to watch it. Not that the cartoon was that good, but Kevin Smith is that good.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Shit, dude. It takes a lot to make me feel old at 24, but congrats, you did it. I, too, was a huge fan of Doug on Nickelodeon, but once it hit ABC, I'd have rather watched my sister take a shit. My friends and I still do the character impressions for Mr. Dink. Ren and Stimpy was all right, but I found it a little too gross for my taste, although the songs were great -- Log, Don't Whiz on the Electic Fence. ...

All the other Nick shows didn't compare.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Cool thread.

Favorite top-line cartoon character: Homer Simpson

Favorite animated prime time show: Simpsons, Ren & Stimpy, Beavis & Butthead, Daria, King of the Hill.

Favorite top-line afternoon or Saturday morning show: Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny.

Favorite second-tier or lower character: Stimpy.

Favorite second-tier or lower afternoon or Saturday morning show: Popeye

Least favorite top-line character: Scrappy Doo (punk-ass)

Least favorite prime time animated show: Family Guy (that said, it's grown on me immensely in the last 6 months, so there's hope yet)

Least favorite top-line afternoon or Saturday morning show: Davey and Goliath (and yet I watched it every Saturday because it was a lead-in to the roller derby). DAY-VEEEEEEE!

Least favorite second-tier afternoon or Saturday morning show: Didn't watch anything I didn't like.

Least favorite second-tier afternoon or Saturday morning character: See above line.

I'm going to add a few categories:

Sexiest females in a cartoon: Quinn Morgendorffer (she was much deeper than the shallow pool she waded in), Betty Rubble (one night in Vegas, under the influence, I fell in love with her).

Favorite cartoon music band: Mystic Spiral.

Cartoon female character you wanted an hour with in the back seat of a '77 Camaro: Brittany the cheerleader from Daria.

Single favorite cartoon episode: Simpsons, when Bart gets "Stampy" and Bugs Bunny when he plays baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted