1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cartoons

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why not?

Favorite top-line cartoon character: Bugs Bunny

Favorite animated prime time show: Simpsons

Favorite top-line afternoon or Saturday morning show: The Superfriends season that had the Legion Of Doom.

Favorite second-tier or lower character: Wile E. Coyote -- Super Genius (Wile E.'s incarnation for only a pair of shorts with Bugs Bunny before he became a mute dullard chasing the Road Runner. Inspiration for our JDV).

Favorite second-tier or lower afternoon or Saturday morning show: Hillbilly Bears

[​IMG]

Least favorite top-line character: Tie between Mickey Mouse (never does shit, never been a big Disney guy) and the always beloved Scrappy Doo.

Least favorite prime time animated show: King Of The Hill (has its moments, but preachy as all get out)

Least favorite top-line afternoon or Saturday morning show: Anything made in Japan after 1995. What the fuck is Pokemon about?

Least favorite second-tier afternoon or Saturday morning show: Alvin & The Chipmunks (I hate those fuckers, I hate their dipshit Christmas song, I hate Dave, I hate their whole schtick). Garfield is close behind.

Least favorite second-tier afternoon or Saturday morning character: Scrappy Doo is such a dick (and borderline top-line character), he goes here too. I'm convinced he was a narc to bust Shaggy and Scoopy Doo.

I'll be honest ... I started this thread to profess my love for the Hillbilly Bears, which my son was just watching. Absolutely hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Funny you brought this subject up.

Since we recently had our first baby, Mrs. andyouare and I were perusing the local Best Buy for DVDs of our personal favorite cartoons. We wanted little andyouare to benefit from the same education we had. How else will our children learn about ACME products and that TNT does nothing more than singe your whiskers?

Sadly we could only find a handful of old-fashioned cartoon DVDs. Unlike Mr. Bubbler, we're big fans of classic Disney (remember Mousterpiece Theatre with George Plimpton?), but we couldn't find any of those either.

We found plenty of "Friends: Complete 5th Season" DVDs, though.

Sad.

BTW, my favorites are Foghorn Leghorn vs. chickenhawk; Tasmanian Devil; the Goofy sports ones; Yosemite Sam; and, well pretty much all of them.

3. Check out half.com for older DVDs

We got the complete series of 'Scooby Doo Where Are You' for $25. My kids love it.

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Have to agree with Bugs as primary character.

Secondary I would go with Droopy.

Top-line morning show — Johnny Quest.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Least favorite: Wonder Twins from the Super Friends

"Wonder Twin powers - activate!

Form of ... a cheetah.
    Shape of... a waterfall."

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Nothing beats the old Bugs Bunny cartoons.

I remember pitching a fit when the local independent TV channel in Dallas-Fort Worth canceled Speed Racer...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    for that ridiculous and most unfunny douche, Felix the Cat...
    [​IMG]
    I had a second-grader crush on Trixie...
    [​IMG]

Hanna-Barbera sucks vats of dong. Their cartoons were never funny.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Whoof course, appear in the two best cartoons ever:

The Wacky Races and Scoobie Doo's Laff-a-Lympics

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

There was a guy in my high school we called Muttley because of his laugh. Definitely a work of minor genius to come up with that character.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's a quality pick right there.

My favorite after-school cartoon:

[​IMG]

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Ah, say . . . ah say, boy . . . " Priceless.

And Yosemite Sam is revered around our household.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you have Comcast On Demand, there is a channel called Boomerang that has some of the old cartoons. One they have is Tom & Jerry, and they show every some of the old racist ones with the Black Mammy. I've seen a lot of cartoon violence, but T&J still wins the prize for most gruesome cartoon aimed at children. Like the scene where Tom hides in a gift box to surprise Jerry, who then sticks pins into the box through his whole body, and then saws the box (and Tom) in half.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Right now, there's only a handful of animated shows I really enjoy. Futurama, Fairly OddParents, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Spongebob Squarepants (yeah, I said it) and Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law. I used to enjoy Sealab 2021 and the Simpsons, but I've cooled on them over time.

Best single episode: The Rabbit of Seville

As for this,
    That's a whole lot of hate you're packing there, Bubbler.

Draft saved Draft deleted