1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cars, cars, cars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Feb 2, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Benzes are among the least reliable cars on the planet. Jaguar was invented just so M-B would not always be in last place.

2. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

And they are expensive as hell to fix when they do break.

3. lono

lono Active Member

Moddy:

Only if it's got low miles and been meticulously maintained . They do break and they do cost a lot to fix.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

17,000 and well, my brother-in-law is pictured next to "meticulous" in the dictionary.
    That was the thing about the BMW. Every car needs routine maintenance but there was nothing routine about that fucking bill.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Get it Moddy. We have a Mercedes station wagon (!!) we got on a real deal from my folks when they downsized to one car. Talk about an old person's ride, but it's really a good car, and should last until we're ready to downsize to one car.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The only drawback I see is buying a car from a family member. As the son of a car dealer, I can you that can be dangerous territory.

7. part-timer

part-timer Member

This reminds me of the scene from "Lost in America" where Albert Brooks is trying to decide to by a Mercedes and the salesman is hounding him on the phone.
    "It's not a car, it's a Mercedes."

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"The seats are 'Mercedes Leather'? What is that?"

"Very thick vinyl."

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, the Mercedes will be cheap. Might be able to find a coupon or two in the circular. ;)

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Risking ridicule...I have a C230 and I don't know that I'd recommend it. Where you are, Moddy, it doesn't matter as much, but it blows in bad weather and it isn't so great in heavy rain either, even with good tires. Plus, the maintenance is insanely expensive. I definitely echo the recommendation to find a reputable Benz mechanic or you'll find yourself paying a sickening amount of money for what amounts to a glorified oil change. I don't find the seats in mine all that comfortable either.

It does get pretty good gas mileage, though. And I got a great deal on it.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more specifics.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, stop talking about my car. :)

I know a guy who's had one Mercedes and a high end Lexus. Said he would buy a Kia before another Benz.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We seriously considered a C230 when we were purchasing the Accord we have now. We found a couple that were in the same price range, but wound up going with the Accord. Drove one for about an hour on a test drive and absolutely loved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted