1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cars, cars, cars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I hate them but they are kind of a necessary evil.
    Looks like my beloved 1992 BMW - got it used for less than my wife's new Honda and it lasted longer and ran better - may be toast.
    My brother-in-law has offered me a phenominal deal on a two-year-old Mercedes C230. I'd never considered a Benz before because, well, I don't roll in that crowd but this deal brings it back into my league.

So the question: Are they as good as advertised? The BMW was much older when I bought it and served me quite well.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's rich. You're asking sportswriters about driving a Benz? All we know about those cars is that we curse them whenever some snobby, pretentious asshole shows what an idiot he is by being unable to park his car without taking up two spaces, or unable to drive down the road without fucking up traffic for the rest of us.

Come back and ask us about a '94 Toyota Camry or something instead, ok, chief?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty tough to go wrong with a Benz, all flack aside.

4. Moderator1

Hey, I was 44 when I got my first BMW and someone else had to drive it for seven years first. I'm 51 now and have a shot at a Benz for about what a new Accord would cost (actually less). So excussseeeeee me. Lots of people here know about cars, even if they don't drive said car.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Man, my sarcasm isn't so sharp in the morning, huh?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ask sportsnut, he was rambling about his Mercedes breaking down on the way to Palm Springs.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Might be worth finding out first if there's a reputable mechanic near you who specializes in Benzes. Not all of the oil-stained wretches know their way around them, and you won't want to go to a dealership for regular maintenance.

8. Moderator1

Naw, it ain't you - it is me. I did wonder about starting this thread because I don't want to be that asshole. Trust me, I could not do this new and without significant family help. I'm blessed with a great brother-in-law.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Go for it Moddy. Every man should have at least 1 benz and 1 bmw in his life.

My experience has been that the Benz is a more duriable car in terms of the non essential parts - trim / swithches / molding ect . BMW interiors tend to break down quicker. Things that look bad but you are not apt to fix. Benz is more austere in design and holds up better.

Overall though I prefer the sportier feel to BMW.

10. Moderator1

That's what my son said - you are going from a cool car to an older guy's car. Well, I'm an older guy.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Moddy - you could drive a dodge dart and still be cool .

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The Dodge Dart was cool. A '69 Dart was my first car. It had a sporty interior and every gearhead in town would always yell, "Slant-Six engine! Can't kill 'em!" Although, somehow I managed to do just that.

Draft saved Draft deleted