1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Carrier" on PBS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Really glad I decided to watch. This is fascinating.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sorry. Just seeing your post now, but glad you caught it. This is turning out to be a really strong doc. I'm pretty sure I'm going to invest in the DVDs.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yeah, exactly. That's what makes it more interesting than, say 'The Paper' on MTV. This doc puts names and faces and stories on the soldiers who are dropping bombs on the other side of the world. Seeing them bitch about their jobs (which I don't think has been a dominant aspect of the show) just reminds me that these are real people. They aren't these infallible soldiers sent do to a job and get it done without question.

I could never picture myself living in that situation. It's pretty fascinating to me to see what life is like on that ship and it's pretty informative about how everything works.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Really interesting part of last night was the fact that they're NOT dropping bombs. Sailors are even openly wondering if a carrier is really the right sort of weapon for that kind of war -- one in which even our best precision isn't being trusted not to incur collateral damage, thus helping us lose Iraqis' hearts and minds.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You're not supposed to be interested in MTV shows.
    You're too old for MTV shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted