1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Carrier" on PBS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

First two eps on tonight. Not bad, but not "must see" TV yet, either. Striking thing so far is just that most of the sailors they're talking to so far are just kids -- kids still capable of dumbass kid shit. From the dude complaining that he can't get promoted because the old "my CO doesn't like me" excuse (forgetting that he's still living down a major f*ckup) to the idiot chick who had alcohol on board (what?!?! I can't drink for six months while I'm on board?!?!), there's an amazing amount of babysitting officers are having to do.
    Lord knows I'd have a hard time dealing with some of these kids.
    Still, some interesting stories and people.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I watched one of the previews last week and thought it looked interesting. I forgot it started tonight.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm watching it now. It's almost like watching a documentary on most any big operation, with people bitching about their jobs, co-workers, etc.

4. Killick

Second night: Review doesn't change much. WTF was with them spending so much time with the idiot racist!?!? See redneck claim to be racist, see redneck's black shipmates uncomfortably deal with him, see redneck idiot get drunk, see redneck have pseudo heartfelt discussion with black shipmates while drunk, see idiot get tossed outta Navy. Could have done with a lot less of that. And could have done without the onboard hookups stuff, too.
    Still, decent viewing.
    Here in Cincy, the PBS station re-airs at 11 pm. Good move.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

You had to have the on-board hook-ups stuff, because it's one of the things every viewer is going to wonder about. I agree, though, about the idiot racist, who seemed like more of an idiot than a racist. Though that did look like a pretty painless way to get out of the Navy.

6. Killick

yeah, and the hookups segued into don't ask, don't tell... so I guess it had its place. I did wish they spent more time on gays onboard, that was pretty interesting. Also dug the reactor section, and even found the environmental impact segment pretty cool - I never even thought of the environmental footprint of carriers before seeing that. As much as I'm bitching about some parts of the series, I am really enjoying 'Carrier'. Really. Good stuff.
    Hope they spend some more time talking about the Marines on board, how they interact with the squids.
    (I'm also seriously considering changing my user name to Fungus -- for those who haven't been watching, that's one pilot's call sign. As he explained, it's an acronym for 'f*** u, new guy, u suck')

7. With enough weaponry to devastate a continent.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I watched a few minutes last night and it wasn't very good. As others have noted, it's largely a bunch of people complaining about their jobs and the fact that they're drifting at sea, going nowhere in particular. Thank God these people actually do their jobs better than the show demonstrates.

9. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I am really enjoying this, but then again, I lived that life for many years. It is bringing back a lot.

I was suprised to see it was filmed way back in 2005. Not sure what took so long to get it aired.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm more surprised they ever got this much access in the first place.

11. Killick

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Tonight's was a damned solid two hours. Feel bad for the missing kid's family -- I'm guessing they'll never know what happened to him.

btw, anyone else notice that Mel Gibson is one of the producers on this? Interesting.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Hour 5 is on where I am. Should I watch or wait to see it from the beginning?

Draft saved Draft deleted