1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carrie Fisher on "Today"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Dec 10, 2008.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

OOP, I think you nailed it. Ford's movies from that time period are the kind of flicks that a Star Wars fan is going to love. Hans Solo is Indiana Jones in space. And it is the kind of work that makes you a star. If you do Blade Runner, Star Wars and Indiana Jones, that kind of coin is going to get the studios to come calling. But if there is 90% crossover between Star Wars and Indy fans, there is about 3.5% crossover from Star Wars and doing funny material about having a screwed up Hollywood family.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Han, not Hans.[/sportschick]

Count me in with Fenian, 21 and Simon. I'm happy to see Carrie Fisher on this side of her demons and addictions, even if she's *gasp* been unable to maintain the figure of a 19-year-old more than 30 years later.

Her kind of obnoxious I can embrace, if only because for me it speaks to a fighter's spirit still punching.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What she needed to do was to get real busy after "Jedi," capitalize on her Star Wars fame and also break out into some other defining roles, but her coking/boozing in the later 1980s pretty much derailed that plan.

She seems to have landed on her feet just fine.

Plus, as has been noted many times, Hollywood doesn't seem to have many roles for non-bombshell women in their 40s/50s. Although I could see Fisher having some kind of acting comeback (if she wants it) playing brassy middle-aged types, a-la Kathy Bates (who just turned 60).

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Who could match the thespian goodness of Cock Knocker?
    [​IMG]

;D ;D ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I prefer to remember Carrie Fisher from The Blues Brothers. Loving but with a helluva mean streak.

6. One bit from the show, about the aftermath of Mike Todd's death in a plane crash, and how Eddie Fisher ran to the widowed Liz Taylor.

"My father rushed to her side, gradually working his way around to her front. He consoled her with words, and with his company and, ultimately, he consoled her with his penis."

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Here you go, Play.

Jake: Oh, please, don't kill us. Please, please don't kill us. You know I love you baby. I wouldn't leave ya. It wasn't my fault.
    Mystery Woman: You miserable slug! You think you can talk your way out of this? You betrayed me.
    Jake: No I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD.
    [Elwood covers his head in anticipation of more gunfire, Jake removes his sunglasses to make a wordless appeal, and the Mystery Woman visibly softens]
    Mystery Woman: Oh, Jake... Jake, honey...
    [Jake embraces the Mystery Woman and they kiss]
    Jake: [to Elwood] Let's go.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

She was great on "30 Rock" as the '70s-era writer Liz Lemon wanted to emulate -- or thought she wanted to emulate.

9. I was just surprised at how huge her personality was. I had no idea. None.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I missed it unfortunately. Is this something they might put on "The Soup" this weekend? They seem to love their "Today" clips.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fantastic episode.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

She was great as Meg Ryan's friend/Bruno Kirby's wife in "When Harry Met Sally."

Another fave role was in "The Man with One Red Shoe" as Jim Belushi's wife. Highly underrated flick.

Draft saved Draft deleted