1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carpal Tunnel is setting in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Nov 8, 2006.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Doc Idaho should look at that thumb of yours and potentially venture an opinon. On the other hand, carpal tunnel syndrome occurs on the palm side of the wrist and usually causes numbness and pain in the median nerve distribution of the hand and tends to leave the thumb alone.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.orthop.washington.edu/_Rainbow/Album/10357m8b73ce59-60f6-4892-8f7f-687faedd53b7.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.orthop.washington.edu/uw/tabID__3376/ItemID__1282/mid__10357/wversion__Staging/index__False/DesktopModules/Pictures/PictureView.aspx&h=506&w=524&sz=66&tbnid=eNjN5qeePdsseM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=132&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmedian%2Bnerve&start=3&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=3

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

damn.........here we all are telling ho to quit jerkin his gerkin, now some know it all doctor comes up with an actual solution...........

sheesh.

3. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Modaho: I went through therapy this summer to relieve carpal tunnel and some tendonitis. I'm thinking the shots they gave me helped a lot too, but most of it was accomplished by doing some exercises to strengthen up the wrist area. And yeah, it does get up into the thumb, but that may be more of the tendonitis.
    Simple stuff like stretch your hand all the way back then close it to a fist....touch each finger to your thumb and back again.....open and close it like pacman chomping away.....hold it palm up and with your other hand, gently push down on the fingers, stretching out the wrist area. Do them all several sets of 15.

Take frequent breaks to do these simple exercises.

Hope this helps!

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Take up the guitar or banjo. Good for the hands.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Thanks for the tips -- public and private -- folks. Doc Idaho pretended to care ;) and suggested I use a brace for a little while.

It's the thumb that has been freaking me out for about 48 hours now and it's happened before, but gone away. I hope it's just an arthritic thing or an atmospheric pressure reaction. But it really sucks.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

I had carpal tunnel about 15 years and treated it with acupuncture (which the paper paid for). Mrs. Edtitude has had some recent forearm pain and has worked on it with a brace, meds and massages from me.

7. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Oh, one more thing, regarding the brace. Wear it at times OTHER than when you're on the computer. According to my doc, that actually puts you in a more awkward typing position and aggravates it. If you wear a brace, wear it when you're out and about and especially when you sleep. We tend to curl up in that fetal curl, including our wrists.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

this brace is already bugging me. Hot and sweaty.

Blahhh

9. accguy

accguy Member

Two things I have done in the past as I sometimes get tired and sore hands at the end of a long season.

1. I changed my mouse hand a couple of years ago at work and that's made a big difference. I am right handed but now mouse with my left hand. It was weird for a week, but now it's not a big deal at all.

2. When I get to conference tournaments/NCAA touraments, I'll bring a mouse with me and plug it into the back of my laptop. Much better than the touchpad thing.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Probably tendonitis. Get one of those ergonomic wrist support pads that lies right in front of your keyboard.

[​IMG]

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've had back problems for a couple of years now. Nowadays I just cough and a jolt goes down both arms. Not painful but very worrying. It's one of my lower cervical disks and from what I can read there is little to do to treat it except Vicodin — and not coughing.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Short-term: Aleve seems to work best on the carpal tunnel kind of pain. Try that.

Long-term: The brace is a good idea--my wife wears hers sometimes, and when she does, as grrlhack said, she wears it when she sleeps. I find my carpal tunnel gets better when I use one of those squeezy hand strengthener deals.

RSI: It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Draft saved Draft deleted