1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carmelo Anthony Means Bidness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 5, 2014.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Cran. I mean, he's eighth in assists among small forwards, so it's not like he's a black hole on offense. His position simply doesn't lend itself to assists as an accurate measure of selflessness/selfishness. I think he gets a bad rap because people want the Knicks to be so much better than they are.

As you noted, his teammates have never been championship-caliber. And it's absurd to think they were better off without him. They hadn't been to the playoffs in six years before he arrived and they made it three straight years upon his arrival. Aside from Anthony, the Knicks haven't had anywhere near the talent the Spurs, Heat, Mavericks or Thunder have had over the past four seasons.

cranberry likes this.
  2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The most inspired basketball that The Knicks played in the past 5 years was when Carmelo was hurt
    and Jeremy Lin made The Garden electric for a few weeks. Everybody was involved in the offense. Fun to watch.
    In the same week they beat The Heat and The Lakers.
    Carmelo comes back and it's same old / same old. Ball goes to Carmello and everyone stands around waiting for him to
    throw one up.

A lot of blame goes to Knick management and their continual missteps along the way. It all started when they started jettisoning
    players to get under the cap for Lebron. I would have prefered that they kept Zac Randolph and David Lee and build a team
    around them

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Jeremy Lin is very available. Maybe Phil Jackson will agree that he was the answer for the Knicks and bring him back as a catalyst?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Right. Only a matter of time before someone dropped that comment. Obviously Lin on his own was not going to put The Knicks over the top but what
    he did do was give Knick fans a brand of enjoyable basketball to watch. Something to build on. Look at Atlanta, look at Toronto and how they built their teams around
    not just one player. I would have settled for the pre Carmelo Knicks with Chandler, Gallinari and Moskov. If they really wanted Carmelo they
    could have kept those guys and signed him as a free agent after that season.

Even when Carmelo has had good players around him he did not win. Denver had good players around him. In 2007 he had Iverson and Kenyon Martin
    and Marcus Canby

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Iverson in 2007? Kenyon Martin?

How did he finsh 3rd in MVP voting, have the Knicks win 55 games and finish second in the East in 2013?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if he is any more "selfish" than lots of other great NBA offensive players have been. But as a glutton-for-punishment, who was watched more bad Knicks basketball than any human should ever voluntarily endure. ... my 2 cents = no team will ever win a whole lot with Carmelo Anthony as their marquee player -- except maybe if he gets paired with a couple of players who can more than offset the walking pall of disappointment he brings to any team he's a part of. If you want spotty effort, no hustle plays ever, and occasionally bad body language, he's the guy for you. He'll does score a lot of points when he is healthy, though.

He has the advantage over his opposing defender nearly every time, and he is a player who can score 50 points and singlehandedly win a game. But he is not the player who can get a team to raise their level of play around him game after game, and especially not come playoff time. I think his career has more than demonstrated that, including how shitty even his teams that have made the playoffs have performed (with him typically scoring a ton of points on crappy shooting on the way to elimination).

7. cranberry

So despite being "a walking pall of disappointment" who gave the Knicks just"spotty effort, no hustle plays ever, and occasionally bad body language," the lazy bastard still placed second in the NBA in scoring and led the league in minutes per game last year? Imagine if he ever tries.

JC likes this.
  8. bigpern23

Knicks just waived Stoudemire. Is there anyone in the draft worth tanking for? Probably doesn't matter. Knicks haven't made a good draft pick in 30 years.

9. bigpern23

The perception really just doesn't mesh with the reality when it comes to Carmelo. He was drafted by a team that was 17-65, hadn't had a winning season in nine years and hadn't been to the playoffs in eight. The Nuggets won 43 games his rookie year, an improvement of 26 wins, and then went to the playoffs seven years in a row, including a Conference final, with Anthony as its centerpiece. Yet, he doesn't raise the level of play among his teammates?

He joined a Knicks team that hadn't been to the playoffs in six years before he arrived and they made it three straight years upon his arrival. They won 54 games two years ago and advanced to the conference semis with Mike Woodson at the helm and JR Smith as the second-best player on the roster.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The lazy narratives never change.

11. cranberry

He obviously lacks the intangibles.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lost them after college.

bigpern23 and cranberry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted