1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carmelo Anthony Means Bidness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Big fan of Eli Saslow's work and was looking forward to reading his
    ESPN cover story on Carmelo Anthony.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11904296/new-york-knicks-forward-carmelo-anthony-wants-bulletproof-reputation

I'm sure it was not intended to come out the way it did but could not stop laughing
    at the idea of Carmelo masquerading as a business man. It had the quality of
    Kramer working at that company that he was not even employed by.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when Tiger's dad said that load of car that "Tiger will do more than any other man in history to change the course of humanity".

Good god these guys are full of crap.

Carmelo sucks.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Earl didn't say which direction.

4. Boom_70

You would have thought that Eli Saslow would have seen through it.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/espn/conversations/_/id/11904296/new-york-knicks-forward-carmelo-anthony-wants-bulletproof-reputation

Go to the comments section on any story on any website. You will find a split of opinion.

I just read 81 comments about this article and two commenters were complimentary towards Anthony. The rest saw the article as the complete joke it was.

Legacy? This dude will be forgotten before the sweat dries on his final game.

6. Boom_70

That's a good find. Some funny shit there. The readers were not fooled. What the hell is wrong
    with Saslow.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I got about six paragraphs in and quit reading. I scrolled down, scanned a few comments and got the gist of the article.

8. Boom_70

Kind of ironic that an article chronicling the branding of Carmelo Anthony solidifies his
    branding as a clown.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

What poindexter and Boom_70 said.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's killing him that LeBron left him in the dust of his shadow.

Look at 1-5 in that draft:

LeBron
    Darko
    Carmelo
    Bosh
    Wade

LeBron became God.
    Darko's legacy is that he became nothing.
    Bosh became something in Toronto and solidified himself (by and large) in Miami.
    Wade has his legacy, with and without LeBron and Bosh.

But Carmelo, for all of his lusterlacking laurels (scoring title, 7 ASGs) has fallen short. Not even a few years in Gotham has put a shine to his name and image.

If you have to go soul-searching for a legacy ... .

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"How can I be known for being a visionary, for being truly great?"

If you have to ask, you ain't it.

12. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

The photos remind me of the early sequence in Rocky II when Rocky kept spending money on flashy things and identifying it as "class."

Whoever set up the shots for ESPN the Magazine thought it might indicate "Successful Businessman!" to not only put Carmelo Anthony in a suit, but also . . . hey! Cigar! Yeah!

poindexter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted