1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carl's Jr. Test-Marketing a Foot-Long Cheeseburger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

"It's not going to move the needle on the overall business," Speiser said, "but it was a product that seemed to get a lot of publicity."

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh crap, do I miss D'Angelo's. Best subs I've had at a place like that.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

If you kill off your consumers sooner, they won't be able to come back and thus you actually lose money.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If it's really $4, then I'm guessing it's super-skinny and about the same overall as a regular Hardee's burger (which is to say obscene amounts of food).

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Why not bold the first part too? And something tells me that publicity isn't being generated any more. It had some buzz when it got out, but now it's an average thing at best.

Here's another quote from the article:
    But in the company's earnings call Wednesday, Chief Financial Officer Rich Carucci referred to sales of the sandwich as "immaterial."

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, it strikes me as the same amount of meat in a normal burger, just with a longer bun. And I don't think anyone really wants more bread in their fast-food burger.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And he just shivered -- or maybe that was a mini stroke.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Hardee's was ruined when it was brought under the Carl's Jr. umbrella. I remember Karl Malone endorsed Hardee's in Utah. His catch phrase in the commercials was "Act like you know."

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I worked at a Hardee's back when they still served fried chicken and sides. For my lunch breaks, I'd take mashed potatoes, top it with the mushroom sauce from Mushroom and Swiss burgers, then roast beef, then the gravy from the mashed potatoes and gravy.

It was fantastic.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought Hardee's fried chicken was pretty darned good.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Almost all of the KFC commercials I see now do not feature the Double Down.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

But the thing went viral. THey didn't even have to advertise for it. We had a thread on here for it that was pretty active. They kept it through the test period... It made them money.

Draft saved Draft deleted