1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carl Kasell retiring ... Wait! Wait, IJAG, don't cry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oggiedoggie, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

From: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2009/11/nprs-carl-kasell-wait-wait-im-semiretiring.html

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thank god, because I still haven't sent in my voice mail script. I guess I'd better get on that soon. He's not getting any younger.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I've got my Carl Kasell voice mail on my cell. A proud event in my life. Hope he enjoys retirement.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Kassell was a big reason I started listening to Morning Edition (w/Bob Edwards) when I was in junior high. He has the newscasters' voice and there was no-frills when he reported the news. Crystal clear, factual, and very understandable.

I have two friends who love Wait Wait!. They are going to be sad that's he retiring from M.E., but ecstatic that he'll stay on with Feldman on Saturdays!

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Yes, that man has the pipes and classic delivery.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think you're crossing your weekend public radio snarky game show/interview show hybrid streams. Feldman's on Michael Feldman's Whad'ya Know?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I had no idea who Feldman was. Poor Peter Sagal.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

My bad. I always transpose the hosts with both shows.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Not to threadjack, but Sagal was in Runners' World a while back. One of those quick, skinny, rabbity dudes. Has run Boston. Feldman has more hair, I think. Don't know if he runs.
    Carl probably doesn't run. But he'd be great doing the finish-line announcing.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

He wear short shorts and look sultry?

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Yes and no, respectively.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Well, today was the sad day. Unfortunately, during the 10 a.m. news segment in which he later said it was his last day on "Morning Edition," someone botched the broadcast. They couldn't get a recording to play, left the mic open for the sound of shuffling papers and then repeated a news report about protests in Iran when they tried to play the skipped report.

It was probably their way of saying, "See Karl, we can't do it without you."

Draft saved Draft deleted