1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carillo out at ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jan 17, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not the point at all. Millen could be the biggest cornucopia of crap as an analyst. But if ESPN sees fit to have him on the payroll, a fan base doesn't have veto power.

2. Wait.. what? There is a Tennis Channel? Seriously? Tennis 24-7 on TV? In America?

How 'bout a bowling channel?

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Going back to the Mounties?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What we're really talking about here is the ability and willingness of an analyst to actually criticize players, coaches, whomever when he/she feels they deserve it. That candor is refreshing. Far too much butt-kissing going on in the TV booth with most sports these days.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Wasn't Mary involved in the flare-up when James Blake starting bitching about hearing her from the booth at Wimbledon last year?

Carillo, along Johnny Mac, and Bud, was one of the reasons I will sit and watch tennis.

6. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Pam Shriver was the one in the dustup with James Blake.

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I used to love watching the Australian Open with Drysdale and the fiery one, Fred Stolle, in the booth.
    Haven't watched much tennis in the last few years, so I can't delve into the worthiness of Ms. Shriver, Mr. Gilbert, et al, as commentators. Carillo and McEnroe, though, are pretty damn good.

Draft saved Draft deleted