1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Careful reaching for that Election Night pizza...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by luckyducky, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The reality is that pizza is bought for election night because its a busy night on newside and they can't afford for everyone to take a 30-minute or longer dinner break.

So the company is basically paying you to stay and work.

But if you do that, it should be for everyone in the building, including the janitors and sports copy editors, not just the election folks.

2. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

Trust me, there will be pissing and moaning.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Pizza tonight was for everyone in the newsroom. I'd much rather have something from Papa John's, but Dominos will suffice.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, if that's the case, then you just leave an upper decker in the publisher's desk.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's fine. Rag on them.

Some of us newsies like working at night. And believe it or not, we do it every night. ;)

6. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

Buck, I know there are some good newsies out there :), I just know there are a few in my shop who throw a fit if they have to work past 5 p.m. One of them is the aforementioned former SE, which is what is so aggravating.
    Besides, I used to work news side myself, so I guess I'm allowed to rag on them once in awhile. :D

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Wow. We had a big surprise: Healthy sandwiches and pasta salad. For everyone in the newsroom. Pizza coming later for second feeding. Must be that Dubow sacrifice on his salary.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The point is, the newspaper is asking people to work through their dinner break, two slices of pizza might cost what? $3 max? They get a full 30 minutes or 60 minutes of work from everybody for $3 per person.
    To most journos, nights like these are what they live for and of course everyone is all in. It would be nice to see that enthusiasm shared by management.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fuck it. Just have the agate clerk make a dinner run as usual.

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

You know, hondo, sometimes the agate clerks want to watch results come in, too...

11. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

Had a great response from a ME a number of years ago (it was actually for the first week of the Gulf War, but still applies to Election Night): Sports does have a job during war coverage - stay the hell out of the way. Here's your pizza."

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We just got an instant message that Election Night chili was available in the break room. I told our guys if they went down there, they'd probably get a chili reception.

Draft saved Draft deleted