1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Careful reaching for that Election Night pizza...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by luckyducky, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're putting out a live section for tomorrow, your job will be dramatically impacted by the election. Everybody working when the pizza arrives should be able to partake.

What a complete and total bitch.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We aren't talking about filet mignon, its a couple extra pizzas. I can't think of much more depressing in a workplace environment (other than "you're fired") than having some cretin send out an email telling you that you are limited to two slices while you are working.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Somebody needs to find out if that paper has a trade agreement.
    Some pizza place gets free ads in exchange for free pizza.
    At one place I worked, we always got pretty good grub. Box lunches with decent sandwiches. Always thought real highly of the bosses, then I found it was a trade thing.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Every place I've ever worked had a trade agreement with a pizza place.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Yeah, if that memo isn't this year's sign of the newspaper apocalypse, I don't know what is. Almost as bad as Craig Dubow e-mailing us the other day that he's making the ultimate sacrifice by whacking a few percentage points off his salary to the tune of $200,000. Geez.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not me. I used to work at a pizza place, though, and we would trade dinner with other restaurants all the time. Never with the newspaper, though.

7. All the salad you want, though, sports dudes.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The true downfall of the newspaper industry -- spending too much on pizza.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Last election, I jokingly chided the news reporters that they weren't going out for a drink after finishing up. Editor overhears and next thing I know the whole newsroom (sports, news, photogs) was walking across the street to the bar for a couple of drinks on his dime.
    I'd have run through a wall for that guy.

10. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

It's about time to toss a Baby Ruth in the editor's convertible on a hot day.

Yeah, let's limit the number of pizza slices the workers can have on election night. Next thing you know they'll be installing pay toilets in the restrooms.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

To be fair, the EE comes off as the good guy in this one. Bonus points for the added humor in his reply. (At least, I hope he was joking about the knife ...)

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

But, but Mizzou! For everyone who takes a third slice of pizza, McClatchy will lay off 500 employees!

Blue font meant above, BTW.

Draft saved Draft deleted