1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Careful reaching for that Election Night pizza...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by luckyducky, Nov 4, 2008.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=153479

But John...it was for the good of the budget!

The entire thread:

(sorry in advance if I should have put this on Sports & News .... couldn't decide)

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Amazing. Simply amazing.
    Someone take a third slice and toss a buck her way.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So the folks working on the sports desk are SOL?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fuck them... Take four slices and spit on the two you don't take. ;D

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That memo is just about the most depressing thing I've read in a while. Layoffs I understand, "doing more with less" I get, but having a "director of Newsroom operations" put out a memo dictating that pizza is only for people working on elections and they can only have two slices each is just pathetic. The paper is already screwing people out of their dinner break, figure they save at least $15 an hour per person on that let alone the OT, and someone with a title uses this kind of judgement? Way to rally the troops!!!

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

They are at my shop. No feast tonight for the first time in however long.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

It's only sports, you know.

Edit: I like your answer better, Mizzou. And I wonder how much actual work that Director of Newsroom Operations will be doing tonight, while she's busy standing guard in the lunchroom.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The executive editors reply did say that anyone that was there could partake.

What do you want bet Susan Spring is more of a bean counter than an editorial type person?

And I'm sure Ms. Spring won't be anywhere near the newsroom tonight.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

All I have to say is coffee is for closers and pizza is for workers.

Toy department need not belly up to the pizza table.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

There was no pizza during last month's election up here, for the first time ever. No explanation or advance warning either.....it just sort of came upon us all of a sudden: "Hey, where's the pizza?" and no one even bothered to answer.

What sucked hardest was the lack of notice. If I had known there would be no food, as there had been at every other election we have ever covered, I would have made sure to eat a larger supper, no problem. But come on, at least talk to us and let us know what to expect......

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

In sports, every night is election night.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Amen. Our ME actually said that in one of his e-mails about election night, but he used to be an SE, so he understands it.

Draft saved Draft deleted