1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Career milestone of sorts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, May 21, 2007.

1. Hated these things. Always had a trail of paper a mile long after I was done with a story (every time you mis-typed something, it went back one space and up one line to correct it).

(Of course, I posted this without seeing the entire thread; now I see this already has been addressed. No matter; I still hated the damn thing.)

This fall, it will have been 24 years since my first journalism job. Still love it, mostly because I don't know how to do anything else.

And, just in case, I still keep a pica pole and a proportion wheel in my desk.

Remember how the world used to be before the fax machine?

2. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Allow me to add the congrats, SF, of someone who worked only too briefly with you but has heard more great stories about you than I care to recount.

One thing pisses me off, though. You've got 30 years in the biz? I've got 31.

I always thought you were older than me. Sumbitch. :mad:

FOS

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Quality years, I'm betting!

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That looks familiar, I must admit.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

[​IMG]

SF's first job interview suit.

Congratulations on your 30 years in the biz!

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Lemme tell you something. For my second job, in Florida, I wore a Steve Martinesque white suit with white pants and a white vest and looked like an absolute clown. So you're not far off.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Congratulations, and your post made me realize I passed my 25th anny last year.

Hated, hated, HATED those TI machines.

In the newsroom, we used to have a computer system where you typed in the story and it showed up on the screen with no paragraph breaks or justification. Every so often you'd hit a button and the copy would twirl around the screen like a whip and end up justified.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

SF_Express used to file mileage reports for this bad boy:

[​IMG]

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Yeah... I will only have 3 years professionally next month, but I worked some jobs in college, so including that, it's been like 5 years.
    I've only been alive for 25. Congrats to all the old (read: full of wisdom and great information)-timers on this thread. I hope I still enjoy myself in this business after that amount of time.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Hey, I can't talk. I wore something like this for my first Communion ceremony. And mine was made by my grandmother, and had a big "B" sewn on the lapel. Hideous.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Actually, the car was this one:

[​IMG]

And I even wore a leisure suit -- once.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Is that a Datsun B210? Green with honeycomb hubs?
    I HAD ONE! My friends called it the "Booger."

Draft saved Draft deleted