1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

career advice up in here?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, May 27, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I thought of that when I was typing my answer. I'm one of the few in this profession that still can provide for a family. I know I am an exception. I'm lucky.
    But, we all sensed reservation in the initial post.
    He was looking for affirmation. And, I think, after a long look, it's admirable to be comfortable with who you are. It's something I've struggled with.
    He's good. He's happy. Change for the sake of change?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

They're not, of course. But if you have a decision before you and you think following your ambition might decrease you happiness, then you've got to choose one or the other, don't you?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You getting married to that girl? She willing to move there with you? Your paper firm? No layoffs on the horizon? How much more is the pay? How much time do you spend with your family besides holidays?

4. hankschu

hankschu Member

My only question is this: Are you sure that this wonderful employer you have now will be around five years from now? We all know what is happening in the business. Your paper could be Singletoned and your boss neutered, if he is kept around at all. Just something to consider before you give up on the better job.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I would take the bigger job. You can always go back to a smaller job at a smaller paper later. The opportunity to move up might not always be there.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, you can't. I've applied at probably four 40-50K papers in the past two years. None would even call me. Assuming they were thinking I wouldn't want to work there after being at a bigger paper, or they didn't think they could pay me or whatever, regardless of what assurances I put in my cover letter.

7. captzulu

captzulu Member

I made a move kind of like that a few years back under somewhat similar circumstances, though no girlfriend was involved. I was about 4 years out of school, all of which was spent on the sports desk of my hometown paper (about 50k), where I also worked throughout college. I was happy, liked the people (both my peers and my bosses), things seemed stable, my family and friends were all in town. Then a paper 2-3 times bigger comes calling with much more money and an opportunity to work in an environment where I would have more time and resources than what would ever be possible at my starter paper. I took the job because I knew that at 24, I wasn't going to stay at my starter paper forever, and this seemed like a good opportunity. I moved to a city about 4-5 hours away. I wasn't that enamored with the town, but thought it would grow on me. It never did. More than anything else, I missed my family and friends badly. I did some good work at my job, but didn't like the atmosphere that much, and it just didn't feel like it was worth the sacrifices in my personal life. Less than a year later, I moved back to my old paper and I've never regretted it.

Moral of the story: If you are in a situation where you're happy both professionally and in your personal life, don't make a move just for the job. It's fine to go from a job you love to another job you might love, but just make sure there is something in it for your personal life as well, or at least that you're not making huge sacrifices in that aspect. The job may not always turn out as you expect or can change in the blink of an eye (especially in this day and age), and if you don't have a happy personal life to come home to, you'll be doubly miserable.

As for gauging whether your current paper is stable or not, I don't even think that's possible any more in this business. The downsizing bug is sweeping across the entire industry and there is no place to hide. If a place has had recent layoffs, it shows they're in trouble and there is no guarantee that more layoffs aren't on the way (look at San Jose). If a place hasn't had layoffs in a decade, it just means they're likely due for some. Toward the end of my time in the biz, I talked with a couple papers about potential jobs, and they told me "We don't lay off people" (this is circa 2005). Within a year after that, one announced layoffs, the other had job freezes, was sold to another chain, then announced buyouts.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

From the sounds of it, you do have a tough decision. I was once in a similar position you're in now. My advice: If you have any hesitation, stay where you are. You have what many of us envy: A great SITUATION, including a great boss and a job you enjoy.

I'm living proof of the adage that money doesn't buy happiness.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

There will always be top newspaper jobs available. Wait for one to open up that is closer to your area.

I bet it will pay $100k, too! ;D

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I turned down an offer from a newspaper within our chain that was twice our size -- it would've been going from small community daily where I was in line to be SE to a small mid-sized where I still would have been largely covering preps ... but it would have been a good stepping-stone to larger jobs (and, as I found out, I might have been in line to be SE).

It was a 40-minute drive away. I turned it down for personal reasons -- didn't want to work second shift (I was at a PM), didn't want to move away from the girl I was dating who is now my wife, et al.

Professionally, it was the biggest mistake I made. I never really had another chance to "move up" to a larger paper. Had I hacked it there, I would've been able to move up the ladder professionally much more easily. Instead, I schelpped as an SE at the same 11K community paper I worked for for several more years, never really got a similar opportunity, and eventually burned out and left the biz.

On the other side, I married the girl I was dating, still live and work in the same community (which I enjoy) and get to do enough freelancing to keep me in the game a little bit. My quality of life has been good, but professionally, it was a bad move.

If your goals are to "move up" professionally, take the job. You'll settle into your new community, make new friends.

If you enjoy the place you're currently working, the relative lack of pressure and you have a really serious relationship with the girl -- translation, if you think it's going to end in marriage -- then stay put. Don't make a career move based on someone who you're dating but don't see yourself with long-term. She'll be gone and you'll still be there.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Unless, of course, you don't mind being there after the girl's gone ...

Not always a bad trade, depending on the locale. 8)

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did you actually apply for this other position, interview for it, and then get the offer? If so, why were you willing to accept the job all throughout that process, but now you want to turn it down?

Draft saved Draft deleted