1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Care packages for soldiers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jan 14, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I know we've done this thread before, but I'm too damned lazy to look it up.

I've got a good friend over in Iraq right now and I'm gonna send him a package to try to cheer him up (he's very depressed. Girl issues, none involving me). I've burned him some CDs and DVDs, but I wanted suggestions on other stuff to send him.

He said no food. He's apparently stocked up on Jolly Ranchers and coffee at the moment.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Back in Gulf War I, I sent a friend a golf club from a used-club bin and a bunch of used golf balls. He and his buddies set up a little course. It even got mentioned in a book. I don't know if that would work here, but try something you know they don't have there--a Frisbee maybe or something like that.

3. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

send phone cards. Our beloved leaders can send men to war but can't get a sponsor to allow our heroes to phone home for free. It's a crime that they put their lives on the line and ATT/Halliburton/US taxpayers cannot flip the bill for a lousy phone call.

Also, this is a winner: http://booksforsoldiers.com/

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

On deployments, I've always enjoyed the "comforts of home," so to speak. Sometimes something as insignificant as a bathroom rug -- you know, to curl your toes in -- can make you feel a lot better. Mrs. tbf once sent me my old Bama t-shirt she hijacked. She also sent me some of her soap so I could smell her whenever I wanted.

OTD, I took a sand wedge and some practice balls to Honduras once. We had a blast with them. Everyone used them.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

God Bless America.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm not sending him soap. He'll get ideas.

If I knew golf, I'd be tempted to get him a used club and some balls. But golf frightens me.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

SC -- send everything you can stuff into a shoe box-sized box. Newspapers and books are huge. Maybe some puzzle books?

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Every one of the males over there is waiting for a care package from Flash. :D

A couple of months back there were stories about how soldiers were using silly string to detect booby traps. Improvise and overcome ...

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Send him a picture of Bush taking up the ass from Bill O'Reilly with Dick Cheney looking on. That'll get him what he really wants, a ticket home.

Dick Cheney is the worst person in America.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

SC, just walk into your local used golf shop and say the following, "I would like to buy a cheap, used sand wedge and a box of range balls." Buy the cheapest club they offer -- he won't be using it so he can shoot a 73 at the local country club. Even if your soldier doesn't golf, that package will instantly make him the most popular guy in his group. Guaranteed.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Dunno how you're going to get a golf club in a shoe box. Just sayin'. Nerfhoop would be good. Decks of playing cards. Paperback books. Personal notes saying thank you for your service (when I was in the military, perfumed letters were especially nice). Hand sanitizer is probably a good idea.

SC, if he's going to get ideas from the presence of soap in the care package, then he already has said ideas. Send the boy some soap.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hand sanitizer is a must. Each time I use a port-o-john, I use tons of it. You can't send enough hand sanitizer.

Draft saved Draft deleted