1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cards WS win: The biggest postseason upset since Villanova?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Oct 28, 2006.

?

Is the Cardinals World Series win the biggest postseason upset since Nova in 1985?

1. Yes!

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. No!

58 vote(s)
    93.5%
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

yeah that's almost as bad as losing to the Raiders 20-13 when you outgain them by a margin of 5/1. :D :D :D

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

MUAHAHAHAH!

(Sorry Oz...but that made me giggle. OK, guffaw. Whatever.)

(I still adore you, however)

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sad part is, IJAG, I'm not even pissed about that game. More like numb. I pledge to get my vengence, BYH ... just not now. Maybe when the Colts win the Super Bowl in February. ;)

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I hate the Dodgers, but the 1988 team winning a World Series was much bigger. I am echoing LJB's comments.

Mickey Hatcher hit either as many or more HRs than Canseco and McGwire did in that Series. It's forgotten because of Gibson's HR.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Absolutely. That Dodger team had a starting 8 that was nowhere near as talented as these Cardinals, and they beat the Mets and A's, both of whom were much bigger favorites than the Tigers.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

In that 1988 World Series, Hatcher had 2 HRs, Canseco and McGwire each had one. if not for Orel Hershiser's run that year, Hatcher would have probably been the World Series MVP.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think any team that wins a best of 7 series can be seen as "undeserving"

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Cards winning it all is not an upset. As I've said before, in baseball the playoffs are the most meaningless in terms of determining the best teams. Any .500 team can take 4 of 7 against a .600 (or better) team.

They might as well just flip coins to determine game winners.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Any Duke loss before the title game. [/vitale]

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

The St. Louis Browns didn't win the World Series in 1944 - the Cardinals won.

Draft saved Draft deleted