1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car trouble

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Which is just a step above Race-Trac. The only good thing about Quik Trip is that you can get a tacqito.

2. KG

KG Active Member

Actually, I've never had a problem out of Quik Trip. They also have a policy where if your car has problems due to their gas, they will pay to fix your car. They wouldn't offer that if their gas sucked. I've also never been in a trashy QT, unlike many other gas stations out there.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, I'll agree with you on all of those parts. It seems that every time I go to QT, they are always in the process of raising their gas price. I think they do it when they see me coming. LOL

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I can't imagine it's easy to convince them that you have a problem caused solely by their gas. And wouldn't you have to prove you'd used only their gas in that car?

I've had mechanics tell me to never stray from mainstream gas like Shell and Texaco, that you can save more on repairs than the couple of cents a gallon might cost over the life of the car. They say avoid grocery store gas and Costco and places like that.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Folks,

Most places order their gasoline from the same local distributor. Take a look at the trucks if they're filling the underground tanks. Odds are the same ones stopping at Shell, Citgo and BP stop at the other places, too.

6. And Bingo.

Around here, there are limited number of refineries. The gas is pretty much all the same at different stations, It comes from the same delivery truck.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

My check-engine light comes on when the gas cap isn't on right -- the "three clicks" thing.
    Gas is gas, unless, as Sam Mills notes, there is water in it.

8. KG

KG Active Member

Exactly. The only difference might be some additives, but I'm not sure when they add those.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Gas and water seem to go well together in Jersey.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It was a coil. The mechanic said $500-600.

11. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Generally speaking, coils are easy to replace yourself, if you know which one is bad.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Even with a tight budget, I've heard enough horror stories that I stay away from el cheapo "dino" fuel. Around here I tend to stay away from ARCO for that reason, in Iowa I stayed away from Sinclair for that reason.
    As for car issues, in the summer of '08 I left work one day and warning lights came on, car chugged to a stop. Mechanic friend suggested fuel cap. Sure enough, took it off and tightened the cap and problem went away.
    Back in February, problem hit again. This time it wasn't gas cap. Various warning lights came on, car wouldn't stay going. AutoZone read the codes. Shop looked at it, turns out it was totally different. The car started life as a rental, sometime before we bought it car got a replacement windshield. Evidently it wasn't sealed correctly, so moisture would trickle down the A-pillar and basically short circuit the electronics under/behind the dash randomly. So the windshield was taken out, seal replaced, windshield put back in and everything dried out. Knock on wood, problem hasn't come back yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted