1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car question/problem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Sorry if there's already a thread on this, I think this has been covered in another thread but I don't have the time to look it up.

My drivers side window will not go up. It's electric. It will go down but not up.

2001 Dodge Intrepid SE.

Any clues?

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Could be the switch.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had the same thing happen. It was the motor, or something. Can't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't much. $80? $100?

Edit: I'm 'tarded. It was $237 apparently.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/47193/

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am really inept when it comes to cars, but oddly you asked about something I may have a clue about... Two main culprits to investigate: 1) The regulator. 2) The master switch.

Neither is that costly, but if you buy parts new and pay a mechanic for labor, you can still get raped anyhow for something like this. You can get a new third-party window regulator really cheap. Don't let yourself get ripped off. They are not expensive parts. For a master switch, you will have to go used--salvage--but a used switch isn't that expensive. I replaced one myself and the part used cost me about $20.

Replacing a regulator is tricky--getting everything into place and making sure you don't drop or shatter the window is difficult for someone who doesn't know what they are doing. But the part is really cheap. Replacing a master switch is tricky too, but mostly because you have to do a lot of unscrewing, get the door panel off and unhook a zillion things before swapping the part, and then you have to put it back together the way it was.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Thank you all. I have "fixed" the problem as the damn thing finally went all the way up after I put it all the way down ... I'm going to investigate this problem when I have the funds to do it. Needless to say I won't be rolling that window down anytime soon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

It was a perilous time because A) I live in Florida and B) Anyone that has ever lived in Florida knows that thunderstorms come on quicker than hiccups during these hotter months. Luckily I avoided any wet interior parts of my car.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Funny...I had a window go out on my 1999 Dodge Intrepid while living in Florida. It just got off its track, about a $150 repair.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Apparently doing a bit of google research on this problem, that 1999 Dodge Drivers Side Window problem was a common feature of that year.

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

My 2001 Dodge Durango had the same problem. Cost $200 to fix.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

When my '78 Camaro was new, went to Vegas and the drivers-side window stuck down on the way. It was still under warranty so I drove right to a Chevy dealer in Vegas and the fucking assholes said it would take 3 days to fix it. Bastards.
    Went to another Chevy dealer a few miles out on Boulder Hwy. They said they could have it done the next morning and gave us a free loaner car to tide us over. That was service.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You're talking about a breed which is notorious for having a history of electrical problems.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fuse. Switch. Window motor.

Don't buy from the dealer; you can get any of the above at Autozone.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Gracias. I will check in on it, especially since my 2nd cousin (who also lives next door) is a mechanic of sorts.

Draft saved Draft deleted