1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"car contract" sales calls???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by golfnut8924, Aug 28, 2009.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Is anybody else getting these lately? I've had about 7 or 8 of them this week --- and on my cellphone no less. They say they are inquiring about the "contract" on my car and want to put me in touch with some kind of representative or some shit like that. WTF is this!? Every single time I tell them to stop fucking calling me, put me on the do not calll ist, etc. etc. But then they call again and it comes from a different number every time. Help!!!

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You really should get a contract on your car. What's your number. I'd love to speak with you about it.

(I imagine it's an extended warranty. There are a bunch of scams of this nature going around.)

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Take ten minutes and try to bog them down in some pointless conversation. They'll quit calling.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I've gotten those as well. Tho, it's been over a month since the last time I received one.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

If you have the cell minutes to burn, sound interested, tell them someone's at the door and you'll be right back, and leave the phone off the hook until they give up. That's always been my strategy. Worst thing you can do to these people is waste their time.

6. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I think next time I'll take the Seinfeld approach:

"Gee I AM interested in a car contract but I don't have time to talk right now. How about you give me your home number and I'll call you later."

I rarely ever get sales calls on my cell which is why this is so puzzling. Also, I bought my car used from a regular person, not from a dealer.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ask them if they're enjoying being sued by the Federal Trade Commission

Point out that it's illegal for them to robocall a cell phone under regulations passed by the Federal Communications Commission.

Put your cell phone on the national Do Not Call list, too.

Also, point out to them that as of Sept. 1 it's illegal for them to make sales robocalls without prior written permission, period. And point out that the fine will be $16,000 per each individual illegal sales call.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The laws will not be sufficient until it is both possible and legal to murder someone through the phone.

9. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

You need the *187 app for your phone!

Draft saved Draft deleted