1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Car accident while working

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jackson Sundown, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Driving home from a high school hoops game tonight I took out Bambi. No major damage to my car, but I'll need a new front bumper. Since I was in the sticks for work, will Gannett, aka the Evil Empire, pay for all damages? Deductible? Or to I get stuck with a "Hope you're feeling OK" card. Just curious what I should expect.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Was it a company car? If not, don't expect much more than an "Are you OK?" and a "Can you get a loaner for the game tomorrow?" from any company.

3. I guess that's not a surprise from a company that pays a whopping 30 cents a mile for travel expenses.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This won't help, but ...

I've still got a dent on the driver's side from an accident that my truck sustained while I was inside a gym covering a high school basketball game.

Somebody later told me what happened: so many cars were trying to cram into that parking lot (Dwight Howard -- now of the Orlando Magic -- was playing for the opposing team in a holiday tournament), and somebody tried to squeeze into a space they couldn't fit in. Consequently, I got dinged. They didn't leave a note, didn't leave their contact info, nothing.

The company wasn't going to pay for anything. I didn't want to report it, and didn't have $200 to get it hammered out. Even though I could get it repaired any time now, I'm planning to run my truck into the ground before I get something else, so I'll keep the ding.

Good luck on yours. I don't go deer hunting, but I don't mind anyone who does. Fucken Bambis need to stay away from people's cars. Those threads never end well.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Re: Car accident while working

Pretty impressive that you were able to drive and type at the same time until that deer jumped out, though.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

If you have a business insurance policy, you can claim it. You'll have to pay the deductible.

If you don't have a business insurance policy, DO NOT tell the broker, insurance company or body shop that fixes your car that you were working at the time of the accident.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

A car ran a red light and t-boned my car several years ago when I was on my way to a high school football game. Car was totalled and my daughter and I had some bumps and bruises.

I called the office after it happened and their first question was "How far away from the game are you?"

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You made it right? Full box, the whole nine yards?

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Years ago a TV news photog buddy of mine was sent out to shoot a home that was busted as a meth lab earlier in the day. He didn't know the owner had already been released from custody. As he's shooting the house the owner comes up from his blind side and sucker punches him.

He gets back the the station. His face is a mess and his shirt is covered in blood. The News Director asks him a total of two questions.

1. "Is the camera OK?"

2. "So, are you gonna work the rest of your shift, or what?"

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Nope. No gamer from me that day. I was still 20 miles from the game and had no way to even get home -- 80 miles away. We were a one-car household at the time and my mother, bless her heart, grabbed a neighbor friend and drove 75 miles from the other direction with her car (friend drove along, too, to take her back home) so I could get back home where my wife was freaking out wondering if her daughter was OK.

That night, the slot guy called to and chewed me out because they had to scramble to fill that news hole.

I simply apologized for getting into the accident. I needed the job so I didn't have the luxury of telling him to screw himself.

11. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Hang on, 30 cents? We just got a raise to 28 cents. You must live in the big city or sumpin'.

12. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

30 cents?!?!?! We get like 24.5!

Draft saved Draft deleted