1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cape Cod Times looking for copy editor/reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Doesn't sending the resume accomplish that? I'm relatively new to this, only a few years out of school. Landed a decent job with the hometown paper after, only to realize I ultimately hate it. Plus, I'm one of the lucky guys who after putting in the time to get their "2 years of experience" now finally has it and the economy goes to shit.

I have no problem being a reporter or asking questions. It just seems pestering someone would put you at a disadvantage. This seems like one I would really like and don't want to fuck it up, pardon my French.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

has anyone heard anything on this one?

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

As someone who helps to hire reporters, I believe it would put you at a disadvantage. I'm pretty busy on a daily basis -- I don't mind one phone call or one e-mail, don't do any more than that.
    This is just my opinion, of course. Others may be much more strict or loose.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

honest advice: there's nothing pestering about e-mailing somebody. if someone e-mails me during the hiring process, i have zero issues of letting them know what's going on. i've applied for jobs. i know what it's like to wonder ... and if it does bother somebody, they simply can ignore your e-mail. it's just an e-mail, and it does show you're interested.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you help hire, huh? that's awesome. thanks for the advice.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Yes. I help. My boss does the hiring, but I have a voice in who we choose for positions and I get to sit in on interviews and ask questions, etc. Ergo, I help.

7. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

That's true I guess. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks, for real. The little feud was fun while it lasted though. I think you can admit that. Good Night American girls.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so you go ahead and pull the trigger on: "i recommend this guy."

is that what you're saying?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nice to meet you, SS. and if you really want a job, don't be afraid to ask ... but for the love of god, use e-mail, don't call.

good luck.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hopefully SS will tell us wednesday.

11. Wow. What a waste of time. I'm in the camp that prefers to avoid bugging potential bosses and wouldn't think twice about coming to SJ for a little help. No longer, lest a reprimand from the all-knowing Mr. TP.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Who are these bosses who can't answer an e-mail? Seriously?

I've done some hiring in my day and I've applied for more than one job and moved around a bit. I always, always went straight to the source. And when hiring, I never threw out a resume because someone appeared interested. In fact, those resumes often moved up the stack, because you could tell they really cared about the job, it wasn't just one of 100 they applied for.

I've been on SportsJournalists.com for three years or so and I have rarely seen a "Anyone know what's going on?" question answered seriously.

If you are applying for the job and want to get hired, then e-mail the fucking paper where you applied. Don't come onto a message board and rely on everyone else.

Jesus.

Draft saved Draft deleted