1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't we all just get along?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 24, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hard for some of us who experienced it first hand to believe, the 20th anniversary of the Los Angeles Riots is here.

Lots of interesting coverage (for a change!) on local LA media outlets, but perhaps the most unique is this:

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2012/04/knbc_live-tweeting_the_ru.php

2. And how does that fit in with collective bargaining and pension funds?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lived through it and it was a wild week. Crazy it's been 20 years.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Portland at Los Angeles Lakers, ppd., riots.
    Utah at Los Angeles Clippers, ppd., riots.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I was in seventh grade, but I was just starting to get into current events through a really great social studies teacher that I had. At that age I couldn't understand the magnitude that of what was really happening, but I knew it was big.

This will piss a lot of people off, but to this day Rodney King still bugs me. He surely did not to deserve to get beaten, but if that man had got into an accident, hit a kid -- hell hit a pet -- or the cops had got into an accident chasing him, I wonder what would have been.

Also, two of my favorite songs for that era were inspired by the riots:
    Dowset:

Dr. Dre:

"LA told us today you're just a slave. No matter how much money you got -- you still ain't shit."
    They never released a video for the Dre song, but someone spliced in a ton of riot footage.

6. MileHigh

Playoff games. I think the Lakers relocated the game to Las Vegas and the Clippers to the Anaheim Convention Center.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes, they did.

Still insane thinking about it, 20 years later. Wasn't Rodney King recently arrested (again)?

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Also Sublime checked in with this

even though they got the date wrong

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I was covering that Clippers series. We weren't sure whether to come back from Salt Lake City for Games 3 and 4. They finally played Game 3 at the Forum and Game 4 at Anaheim Convention Center in front of a rollicking throng of about 5,800. Clippers won both so we got to get the fuck outta town and go back to Salt Lake City.

10. MileHigh

That doesn't sound right. If the Lakers didn't play a home playoff game, why would the Clippers play at the Forum? (Need to research)

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Blazers game was ending as news of the riots was breaking. I can remember TNT announcers saying that they were alerting fans to avoid certain sections of the city driving home.

12. MileHigh

Basketball-Reference says Clippers-Jazz Game 3 was April 28, the day before the riots broke.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAC/1992_games.html

Game 4 was pushed to Anaheim on Sunday, May 3.

The riots broke at like 6 p.m. though I seem to remember the verdicts being read at 4 p.m., maybe 3:30 p.m., but the Lakers and Blazers still played at the Forum. The riots had not spread that far west from South-Central.

Lakers won in overtime, then Game 4 got delayed until Sunday in Las Vegas. This was the first season post-Magic for the Lakers, too.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1992_games.html

Draft saved Draft deleted