1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't come fast enough...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Dec 1, 2006.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I believe he was the only owner to vote against the wild card.

And based on his track record as POTUS --- "Some call you the elite; I call you my base" --- he would probably abolish the luxury tax, which would make him a hero to the Yankees . . . and no one else.

Bush reminds me of the Gordon Gekko line from "Wall Street."

"If the guy owned a funeral parlor, nobody would die."

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

BTE, the Mets and Red Sox would love it as well.

And it would give a bunch of owners the chance to throw their hands up in the air and say, "Well we just can't compete, so here's a crappy product on the field again. We'll try not to lose 100 times this season."

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

On one hand, it'd be nice to have him in charge of something relatively meaningless in which he doesn't have all of our lives in his hands.

On the other, Bush as Commish would drive me from the game. Forever.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

I was anticipating another goo thread........please continue.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ah, come on. Bush as Commish wouldn't be bad. Although personally I'd prefer Bob Costas but he won't do the job...

For me, all of Bud's accomplishments are tarnished by the fact that he was the only commish to cancel a World Series and try to foist "replacement baseball" on the public the next spring training. YIKES.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Surprised no one else has mentioned this. I know there are some Twins fans here; can't imagine they have too many warm-and-fuzzy feelings with regards to Selig...

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What was even funnier about that... at the time Bud owned the Brewers, although he'd relegated running the team to his daughter Wendy. Talk about trying to make an overt grab for more fans in the Midwest...

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Is that all the fuck you can do? Link Fredo to your threads? [/Tony Snow]

Look, for argument's sake, Bud, in a historical text, was a mixed bag. The Wild Card was good (fuck George Will and Costas for bitching about it), to having the owners holding his jock, to having the All-Star managers whine about running out of players and having to end the game in a tie (personally, that's the teams fault in that.).

The main thing is that we're still talking about baseball, whether we like Bud or not. The '94 strike and the near strike several years ago clearly shows on how fucked up the system is from the Commish's office to the players' union.

If the time does come for a new commish, the position will be an independent commish, without the owner-run puppet mentality. The union and the owners will answer to him for all final decisions.

-I want the new commish to arbitrate all cases and suspension, and make decisions that are in the best interest of the game only. If a player starts a fight, he's suspended without an appeal.
    -If someone is caught with steroids, cocaine, or pot, he's suspended, w/o pay, for 1/3 of the year (60 games). If he gets caught again, he's gone for a year.
    -Make an official baseball statement concerning Pete Rose, once and for all. Enough of this waffling shit. Either he is in, with the statement he gambled, or he's not in and end the debate.

I want an aggressive commissioner of baseball. Not a stool-pigeon for the owners and trying to placate both sides. It's a dream, but shit you have to hope...

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

D-3, as long as the owners are the ones doing the hiring, the owners will pick a puppet dictator.

I wish the Union reps had a say, but that simply won't happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted