1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canon City, CO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HandsomeHarley, Oct 31, 2006.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this has been posted before. Anyone know anything about this? Is it a chain paper or privat-owned? Take your own pics? How far is it from Pueblo?

Company: Canon City Daily Record
    Position:
    Sports Reporter/Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    December 1, 2006
    Job ID: 508015

Description:
    SPORTS REPORTER/EDITOR Pace-setting sports reporter/editor for 8,500 circulation, 6-day-a-week afternoon newspaper. Our emphasis is on local high school sports for Canon City and several surrounding communities. Located within minutes of the Royal Gorge, surrounded by outdoor mountain recreation, and just a short drive to major cities with professional sports teams. Excellent benefit package, including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, 401(k) and cafeteria plans. Send resume by November 10th to: Human Resource Dept, Canon City, Daily Record, 701 S. 9th Street, Canon City, CO 81211, e-mail:gphillips@ccdailyrecord.com, No phone calls please.

When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.

Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2006

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Posted in September ...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/31923/

3. BH33

BH33 Member

The Daily Record is basically family owned. It's owned by Lehman Communications, which also owns the Longmont, Colo. and Loveland, Colo. papers.
    Not sure about taking your own photos, but it's about an hour or so from Pueblo. If you're young and looking for a good place to cut your teeth, this isn't a bad job at all.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Plus there's nearby gambling in Cripple Creek.

5. I grew up in the county and know the guy who is the editor. If you need any questions answered send me a message. There's nine prisons in the county, so if this sports writing thing doesn't work out, you can always be a prison guard. They recently got a Chili's, which was big doings. There is good rafting and hiking and skiing and it's about 45 minutes from Pueblo. If you work here, remember Florence High School Football Rules!

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Being private owned usually means high cost for health care. Any idea what a family of four would expect to pay?

Do you see this as a stepping stone for a young gun, or a good fit for an older family man?

I like the idea of living close to Colorado Springs. I love the outdoors (read, waterfalls, storms, scenic beauty), but am not much of an outdoorsy person (I don't ski - or gamble).

Does the prisons make it a high-crime area?

Any idea what the pay would be? The position lists sports editor/reporter. What does that mean? I'm thinking perhaps the current sports reporter is up for the gig as SE and they're advertising both? How many people on the sports staff?

Thanks for the info.

7. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

From my understanding the gig is that as SE/reporter you have a full timer under you to do most of the reporting, but there are three area high schools that get a lot of coverage, so you'd be doing both. it's an afternoon paper so you layout in the am (ps... from what I understand you layout your own pages), um...what else, there is a fourth high school in the area, BUT they don't get a ton of coverage. On the plus side, you wouldn't have to cover middle school sports or any of that crap...sounds like a pretty decent gig...

Draft saved Draft deleted