1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancer claims Bob Jelenic, 58

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Dec 4, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Nice 24th, to the guy with 18,427. :)

2. lono

lono Active Member

HED: Bob Looses Last Fight

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

speaking of which, this one jogged another from my borscht-belt days:

a group of about 25 old-time comics meet once a year to tell each other jokes. the comics and their jokes are so old they are identified by number.

for example, first comic get up and says, "no. 17."

everyone roars with laughter.

next one gets up and says, "no. 98."

same response. this goes on and on until the 13th comic gets up and says, "no. 57."

dead silence. the embarrassed comic sheepishly returns to his seat and asks another comic at his table: "why'd i bomb?"

other comic: "you told the joke wrong."

rim shot. ;D ;D ;D ;D

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

deafening silence

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I hear crickets.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

SportsJournalists.com is such a bizarre, wonderful place.

Where else does a RIP thread to a person almost universally despised turn into a thread about Borscht Belt jokes?

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I understand what you're saying (and I won't trash the guy). But just to show some of the double standards here.

People were saying good riddance to Jesse Helms, less than an hour after his death,which was pretty crass.

Like I said on that thread (and you said on this one), at least let the body get in the ground.

But I guess that's why you're the moderator and people run away from this site every day, never to return.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There isn't an individual in this industry who did more to end lives and careers, and expressed more naked contempt for the professionals in it, than Bob Fucking Jelenic.

My parents were both professional journalists; my father worked 47 years at the same paper. He's exactly the type of guy Bob Jelenic would have laid off with glee.

He died of cancer. If it was good enough for him, it was good enough for that bastard.

Rest in pieces, Bob. Teeny-weeny, itsy-bitsy, flame-broiled pieces. And a very Merry Fuckmas To You.

9. Flowery Hatred

Flowery Hatred New Member

That was a joke?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bob decided to fire one of my SE friends after the chap worked 55 straight days in order to put out a solid product.

my buddy was lucky because he was on the young end of life. he bounced back and is still working for a national mag.

i have to admit that i'm pleased bob will not be able to fuck up any more people's lives on a whim.

11. Flowery Hatred

Flowery Hatred New Member

So, do you like him more or less than Bill James?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i will say less than.

Draft saved Draft deleted