1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian slang

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Feb 1, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Some words I've said when visiting Americans in the South where no one knew the meaning of some of these:

Touque: It's a hat. Wool. Worn in the winter. (Someone thought I meant a tobaggan or sled)
    Two-Four: Case of beer. (Unlike in the States, they come in cases of 24, not usually 30)
    Twooine: A two-dollar coin.
    Loonie: A one-dollar coin.
    Eh: Yes, we all say it.
    Line-up: We wait in these. For some reason, we don't wait in lines.
    Snowmobile, sled, Skidoo and snow machine are acceptable terms for any "vehiclie" (other than a car/truck) that drives over snow.
    Pop: We all call it pop, unline in the States where some states and areas call it soda.
    Washroom: As dumb as it sounds, we never call it the bathroom here.
    Zed: Not Zee to end the alphabet.
    Hogtown: Another name for Toronto
    The Big Smoke: Another name for Toronto
    Centre of the Universe: Another name for Toronto
    Cowtown: Another name for Calgary
    Pogey: Financial Gov't assistant or collecting unemployment

That's about it.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Tree-huggers.

3. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

My favorite bit of Canadian slang that I picked up in my four years in Toronto was the comment that somebody is in "over their skates," which usually meant that a dude was dating a girl that most thought was wayyyy out of his league.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Every Canuck knows what "double double" means in terms of coffee. I went into a Tims in Saginaw and asked for an extra large double double and they had no idea what I was talking about.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

But did they know who Tim Horton was?

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

East Coasters are the best. I did an opera with a Newfie tenor a few years ago. I said I hoped we were breaking for lunch soon to which he replied "Me too. I'm so hungry I could eat the arse off a low flying duck". One of my all-time favourite expressions.

The other that tickles me is the Newfoundland expression for someone who's name you've forgotten "Buddy Wassisname". If it's a group, it's "Buddy Wassisname and dem other fellas".

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

A Books Thread drop-in: I highly recommend The Day the World Came to Town by former Miami Herald columnist Jim DeFede. Really good book.

From the editors' blurb

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've seen this passage numerous times.

DeFede got so screwed by the Herald. But that was a thread for long ago.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

I've heard "duck" for people who come north for the summer and then flee for the winter. (I guess a more derisive term for snowbird.)

I'm not sure whether "colder than a witch's tit" is Canadian, but it sounds like it might be.

Oh, and don't forget the Bloody Caesar. My wife asked for one in New York and she got a goddamn salad.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There was a CBC doc on that. Very touching.

People made friends for life.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I remember asking for one --I think I was in Kansas City and the bartender looked at me like I had two heads.

But I remember also asking for vinegar for my fries when I was in a truckstop somewhere in midwest USA. The woman stared at me and then said, "Are you German"?

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Isn't Newfoundland technically part of North America?

If so, there is a place like Newfoundland in North America. . . it is called Newfoundland.

<sarcasm>

Draft saved Draft deleted