1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian seeking job in US

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by scottmckenzie, Jul 27, 2011.

1. scottmckenzie

scottmckenzie New Member

Hey guys, I'm new here but have a question I was hoping someone could answer.

I was wondering how difficult it is for a Canadian to get a job at an American newspaper.

It's tough to get a solid job right now in Canada (I'm working in central Alberta) and I saw some cool jobs in the States but I'm just not sure if I should even bother.

If anyone could help me out that would be great.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

This one got kind of vicious, but here's some guidance:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/84379/

3. Geoff Baker

Geoff Baker New Member

It isn't easy. But it becomes easier if you have awards or something that distinguishes you from the hundreds of others in the U.S. seeking a job.

I'd won some awards in Canada and the U.S. when the Seattle Times hired me in 2006. The regular, yearly visas they'd normally have acquired for me were capped out, so we applied for a more-specialized one that was good for 3 years and was attained more quickly. But it was a long, expensive process for them. Fortunately, our sports editor, Cathy Henkel, believed in me enough to see the 3-month process through.

Later, I used the visa as the foundation to make a case for a Green Card, which was approved after a two-year process. Yes, you could just marry an American, but even that is not as quick and straightforward as folks think.

Bottom line is: you'd be best off starting in Canada, hard as it may be. Until you do something that sets you apart from the pack, or find a paper that truly will go the extra mile to make people believe you're a cut above the rest.

Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. But it is not easy.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tell them about your brothers Bob and Doug.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You need to be good because you can't get a visa to work just anywhere.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Arrange a trade. I would totally be down with that.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If you're going to San Francisco (for an interview), be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

Draft saved Draft deleted