1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian prescriptions by mail -- scam or real?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This comes from a discussion while visiting the in-laws over the holidays.

Brother-in-law has Type 2 diabetes and has to take two prescriptions. He's paying over $500 per month for the two prescriptions. He's seen ads in newspapers where getting the same medications by mail from Canada would save a huge amount of money. That led to the debate about whether these things are the deal they appear to be.

I'm in the "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" camp. Others pointed to the fact these appear regularly in legitimate papers and suggest a scam would have been shut down. His doctor is skeptical, but he's willing to provide the paperwork if brother in law can offer some documentation that these things are what they purport to be.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Good or bad, I'd be interested to know what anybody knows about this. Thanks.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Legit. I know some people involved with one of the bigger start ups in Minnedosa, Manitoba. They have been mailing to the US for years.

It is the postal version of the organized senior tours that would come up to Canada to buy drugs.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm pretty sure they're legal and quality.

Speaking of Canadian medicine, does anyone know how I can get some Alberta's Premium Rye Whiskey imported to the States?

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Buckley's Mixture. That right there sells me on Canadian medicine.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My friend ordered eye drops from a company called Canada Pharmacy (I think she said it was canadapharmacy.com) using a regular prescription from her doctor. She received the brand name eye drops, but they were made in India and the packaging was in English and Hindi. She took a leap of faith (it was her eyes, after all) and they worked just fine. The cost was abut 1/5 of what the cost would have been at a U.S. pharmacy, even with insurance. She said she would totally order from them again.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

Truth in advertising. :)

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yes, legit. When I lived in Detroit a guy I worked with set up his mom, who lived in NOLA, with all her prescriptions.

I supposed there are some shady operations out there, but so long as you go with a reputable place, it can save a bundle.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Liquid Vicks Vapo-Rub, that is.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Buyer beware. There's plenty of scam websites out there that portray themselves as Canadian pharmacies. If you're going to go that route, make sure it's a known quantity. My mom almost bought pet medicine from a website claiming to be run by a pharmacy in Ottawa. Googling revealed a number of scam complaints from those who said they got placebos.

Draft saved Draft deleted