1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian Politics: Justin Trudeau to run for leadership of the Liberal Party

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't think our American friends want us to sully the political board with Canuckistan politics.,

Justin Trudeau, 40 year old son of the late PM Pierre, is apparently running for the leadership of the Liberal Party

It's clear that interim leader Bob Rae ain't gonna cut it. Way too much political baggage with his stint as Ontario Premier.

In my opinion, Justin has all his father's charms but doesn't come close to him intellectually and quite frankly, not sure he's equipped to deal with the Conservatives in a bare-knuckle election

That said, getting rid of the Republican wannabe Harper would be one step to returning Parliamentary democracy to our country

What do other Canucks think of this? Is there anybody else in the Liberal Party who could take on Stephen Harper?

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I have heard from people who are on the hill that Justin has more Margret in him than Pierre. I am sure he will appeal to some who still get hard on hearing the Trudeau name but can't say I've ever been impressed with the guy (although beating up that loser senator was kind of funny).

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, you and I at least agree on something. If he's more his mom than dad, I guess we can take the term Liberal Party literally.

I think he's a lightweight as well. And he really did beat the crap out of that guy in the ring.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I don't think netting themselves a celebrity ringer is really going to help out the Liberals all that much at all. They're attempting to play American politics with this and go for the Rock Star PM candidate, when it really doesn't work like that at all in Canada - Five minutes watching second-term Harper give a speech proves that.

The Liberal party seems to be convinced that their leadership is at the core of their failures in recent years, when this whole time it's been their politics - Take a step back, pick almost literally anyone who is competent enough to be the front-man/woman, and rework the party platform into something feasible and not completely insane with a focus on changing everything into some untested experimental 'Green' system.

You've got the NDP playing crazy-Left and the Conservatives playing crazy-Right, which leaves them with the perfect opportunity to play rational-Centrist, like they did in the 90's... But instead, they keep their crazier-Left politics and go on a wild leader hunt for the guy who's going to somehow magically validate bad ideas to an idea-focused crowd.

It really doesn't matter who they pick.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Can we post pics on this thread?

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think the jury's still out on Justin but I don't agree with your characterization of the NDP as crazy left. They've completely taken over the centre that the Liberals held for so many years, although under Martin, there was a push to the right in terms of economic policy

They've been a rudderless party since Ignatieff took over as leader. Personally, I think the party needs a street fighter like Chretien to take on the Harper thugs.

Me, I'd go for a coalition.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Chretien was my favorite Liberal PM. Is streetfighter more a term of endearment than thug? :)

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Much nicer. :)

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Justin: Total lightweight.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Yeah I'm agreeing at this point with the characterization that Trudeau is a lot of flash, but not so sure on his substance. He may ralley the base a little bit and get some of the younger voters who don't vote much out on to their side, but I think he would be taken to school by Harper. He would be bullied pretty easily I think. Right now he's lipstick on a pig. As Gehrig noted, the problem with the Liberals are far more deeply rooted than their leader.

Not sure there really is a one-off answer for the Liberals right now. They need to do some soul searching and figure things out, not just go with the next hot thing to come along.

And JR, I thought the Liberals became rudderless under Dion, Ignatief just went full-steam ahead into an iceberg.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Can americans vote for gary Trudeau?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.