1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian journalist and four Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 30, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadian-journalist-four-soldiers-killed-in-afghanistan/article1415241/

The journalist, Michelle Lang of the Calgary Herald, was travelling with a provincial reconstruction team in Kandahar. Ms. Lang had been in Afghanistan for just over two weeks, on her first assignment in Afghanistan for Canwest News Service.

I'm wondering if any of the western Canuck journalists knew Michelle.

138 Canadian soldiers have died in Afghanistan to date.

She was replacing Globe journalist Patrick White.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/slain-reporter-was-bride-to-be/article1415292/

Ms. Lang's first days on the job in Kandahar overlapped with my last. I was finishing up my first-ever overseas stint just as she was embarking on hers. Both easy-going British Columbians, we bonded immediately. She was from Vancouver and had worked her way up in the journalism world the old-fashioned way, putting in long hours for low pay at community papers such the Prince George Free Press before landing at the Regina Leader-Post and, most recently, the Calgary Herald, where she won a National Newspaper Award this year for her dogged health-care reporting.

Awful for all five families. RIP

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think A-Mac may have known her.

She's already updated her FB status to lament Michelle's death.

Terrible, terrible news, even if you don't factor in that Michelle had recently become engaged.

RIP. Condolences to her family and friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted