1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian Idol Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Okay, I am updating anyone who is wondering what is happening on Canadian Idol.
    Rihanna, Enrique Iglesias and Queen (this week) have been helping the contestants out. Kelly Clarkson will be on hand in two weeks to work with the top five.

It appears that the final two will be Greg Neufield and Carly-Rae Jepsen. Greg gas not been in the bottom two and Carly Rae was there in the first week. Other than Carly Rae, there is only one other woman in the competition, who could be a dark horse, Tara Oram. Dwight D'Eon is the other potential dark horse.

The judges have been inconsistent with comments towards each competitor. Zack Werner is really off his mark this year.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Zach Werner is the biggest horses ass on TV. Loved it when he got slammed by Simon Cowell.
    Can someone please punch Mulrooney square in the face

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ben Mulroney: Most Annoying Canadian Since Canadian Tire Guy.

4. Cansportschick

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070808/CI5_Recap_top7results_070807/20070808?s_name=idol2007&no_ads=

This must have been an omen. Yesterday, I said that Greg Neufield and Carly Rae Jepsen (both from British Colombia) were a lock for the final two and then the shock came during the results show last night.
    Both were in the final two. Not only was it the first time that Greg found himself there for the first time, but he got the boot last night. It is a shock, like what happened in Season 1 when Toya Alexis and Tyler Hamilton were knocked out.

For AI people, this shocking result is the same magnitude as Melinda being knocked out a week before the finals. Also, the season Fantasia won when LaToya should have been in the final.

Shocking really because I thought the bottom three would be Matt Rapley, Jaydee Bixbee and Brian Melo (who was in the bottom three last night). The Atlantic Canadians are coasting through and were safe last night.

This could very well be the most unpredictable winner this season.

5. Cansportschick

It is pop night and Maroon 5 are the mentors this week. Next week is Kelly Clarkson.

6. how the hell does maroon 5 get to be a mentor?
    *shudders*

7. Cansportschick

Well, last night was weird because the final 6 posed questions to Maroon 5 via a camera and then Maroon 5 answered them outside in some wilderness area of T.O. The questions were like, how do you keep emotion in a song especially if you have sung it so many times? What are the perks of stardom? What do we have to look forward to in the biz? It was stupid and bizarre at the same time.

As for the performances last night.....yikes!

Tara Oram did Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves and it was lacklustre to say the least
    Jaydee Bixbee butchered my favourite song from Lonestar, Amazed (which I don't understand how that is a pop song because it is country)
    Matt Rapley had a perma-smile on his face while he was singing Michael Buble's Everything and it was downright creepy. I don't think the song was a good choice for him. He can play the piano though.
    Carly-Rae Jepsen did Come to My Window by Melissa Etheridge and when it came to the biggest note of the song, she not only lost it but it sounded horrible. Sass said it was the best version she ever heard (does she have wax in her ears)
    Brian Melo did When Dolphins Cry by one of my favourite groups, Live and it was good (but I am sorry, he has done way too many Live songs and he has in the past butchered them)
    Dwight D'Eon was predictable with his choice of song. He always does something Matchbox 20/Rob Thomasesque. I wish he would do something different. Anyway, he did Smooth by Santana and Rob Thomas and his singing wasn't the best, but performance wise it was the best of the night. He did an amazing guitar riff and he is the first contestant on Idol to do a guitar solo.

I am so confused because I thought contestants would take advantage of the fact their biggest threat to the crown got knocked out last week and rise to the occaission. Last night was an utter disappointment to say the least. Who should be in the bottom three is Tara, Carly-Rae and Jaydee, but after last week, it is anybody's game. I would be surprised if Brian and Dwight are there.

If Maroon 5 does Makes Me Wonder tonight, I hope they don't change the key and arrangement of the song. I have seen them live and when they do this song, they completely change it up and it sounds horrible.

8. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Bon Jovi is going to perform on the season finale: http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/TV_Shows/C/Canadian_Idol/2007/08/23/4440202-sun.html

9. Cansportschick

In case anyone is following, Jaydee Bixbee from Alberta and Brian Melo from Ontario are the surprising final two for Canadian Idol. The winner will be revealed tonight with performances from Bon Jovi, Avril Lavigne and last year's Idol winner Eva Avila.

Jaydee struggled all night last night while Brian was fantastic. He ended the show with Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, which is one of my favourite all time songs. He was powerful in his delivery. I would be shocked if he lost tonight.

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Who's the Seacrest of the operation?

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

The son of a former Prime Minister ???

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The American version sucks so much, I can't imagine how bad the Canadian one blows.

Draft saved Draft deleted