1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian Alice Munro wins Nobel Prize for Literature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

No problem with Munro, but I'd like to see Roth win it it before he dies.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ragu, I don't think this Prize reflects anti-Americanism so much as the juries' intense desire to recognize work outside the Anglo-European canon, a worthy goal no doubt, but one that means I never heard of many winners, either. Pynchon would be a fabulous choice, but would he show up in public to accept?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

PS: I deserve the Prize more than Ellis, and so does anybody else who's ever filed a daily sports story.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, dear, Ragu had one of his frothing at the mouth tirades. Always fun.

Let's see. You made the comment that, well, at least Munro is a North American. Something I found funny as hell. "Well, she's not exactly an American, but damn, at least she writes in English and well, Canada is almost the USA"

And your "Herta Mueller is obscure" only says, "Hey, I haven't heard of her so she must be obscure" Have you read her?

How about Doris Lessing, Seamus Heaney, Gunter Grass, VS Naipaul, J. M. Coetzee, Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio or Mario Vargas Llosa?. Have you read ANY of them? Yes, Roth is a fine writer but not more deserving than any of these authors

Your belief that an American author hasn't won since '93 because of anti-American sentiment is a classic American complaint. You think your authors are more important in the literary world than they actually are.

Yes, lots of good American writers but you don't have a monopoly on literary greatness

I'm pissed that Robertson Davies never won the Nobel Prize but I don't say, "They're anti Canuckistan"

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Joyce Carol Oates wins it before Pynchon or Roth does. Watch.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Funny you mentioned that. She was the American novelist who immediately came to mind when I thought about authors other than Roth or Pynchon.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Seriously, tell me with a straight face that the list of many obscure winners (who couldn't sell a book before the prize) since Toni Morrison (1993) have all been more deserving than any American writer -- say Thomas Pynchon or Cormac McCarthy.

If you believe that, so be it. But I am not making the claim that American writers "have a monopoly on literary greatness," the strawman you had to create. I am making the claim that the Nobel Prize has an anti-American bias that has largely shut out great American writers and they routinely pick obscure intellectuals who are less deserving, for political -- not literary -- reasons.

And that makes the LITERATURE prize a joke.

Tell me that Herta Muller (no one even knew who she was in Germany!) or Mo Yan or Tomas Transtroemer or Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clezio or Elfriede Jelinek were more deserving of the prize in your opinion than Philip Roth, Thomas Pynchon, John Updike, Joyce Carol Oates or Cormac McCarthy. Then at least we can chalk it up to you being a wanna Swedish foof in the snobbish mold of the prize judge who said, "Of course there is powerful literature in all big cultures, but you can't get away from the fact that Europe still is the centre of the literary world, not the United States. ... The US is too isolated, too insular. They don't translate enough and don't really participate in the big dialogue of literature. That ignorance is restraining."

9. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

This fantasy where JR pretends he's read Herta Muller is a fun one indeed.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I have, but thanks for your insight

11. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Oh bullshit. Cite me some of his works, please. As The Big Ragu pointed out, he wasn't even well read among the intellectual elite in Germany. You may be the only Canadian I've ever encountered who would pick a smug fight in victory about books.

The Nobel Prize for Literature is no different than the peace prize. It is often awarded for reasons other than merit. It's often about politics. This time it was not. Munro is a deserving winner. Everyone agrees on this. The Big Ragu wasn't trying to claim her as his own, for fuck's sake. You just couldn't resist getting in a dig at America, so you picked a fight in a thread *praising* your old scotch drinking pal. The idea that Mo Yan has contributed more to *literature* than, say, Pynchon is a farce, and I suspect you know that. Even the Chinese seem to read him more for his politics than his prose. But why resist a chance to sneer at Big Ragu?

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I'd be willing to bet significant money that, when it comes to Mueller, JR hasn't read a single one of his works.

Draft saved Draft deleted