1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada is actually a pretty nice place

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And you threw out Chicago. I've walked downtown Chicago at 2 a.m., from the Navy Pier to a friend's condo in the South Loop and didn't have a problem. Nor was I concerned a problem would arise.

There are areas where I live now in my 140,000-population city I wouldn't walk around at 3 p.m., let along 3 a.m.

2. Agreed. There also are neighborhoods in Montreal I wouldn't want to be in at 3 a.m.

If you want trouble badly enough or are stupid enough, you'll find it, regardless of where you are.

Montreal is, indeed, a fantastic city. So are a lot of U.S. cities.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Listen, I've never been to Seattle or Phoenix, so I can't comment on those towns. And downtown Chicago may nice, but there are a heckuva lotta neighborhoods I don't think I would want to be in after dark. My comment was more of the crime factor--how many murders, gangs and guns are there in a typically large American city compared to a Canadian city. My example was Montreal, because I've been there. I visited as many neighbourhoods as possible and never felt I had to look over my shoulder. I realize Montreal had the mob-biker wars of the 90s, but it seems some American cities have been fighting gang problems with mixed results for more than 20 years. Maybe there are the same amount of murders in Montreal or Toronto as there are in Baltimore or Washington? I just to know what is different about American citites that make them seem violent? Maybe its just perception.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Didn't Moddy tell you to stop flashing SportsJournalists.com?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well played, well done

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Toronto and Montreal have murder rates of about 80-90 a year.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Nice peaks ... eh?

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

The beer isn't bad, either.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I threw out Chicago because I've only been there once and I was about 12 at the time.
    I think you are correct. No matter what city you go into anywhere in the world, if you want to be scared to death walking around at 3 a.m. you can find a place.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you do, don't eat anything from the hot dog vendors in the Toronto streets. Forty percent of them failed health inspections.

http://communities.canada.com/nationalpost/blogs/toronto/archive/2007/07/18/food-cart-inspections-find-a-problem-or-two.aspx

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The valleys are pretty special too...

12. I don't think anybody's debating there's more violent crime in American cities. However, most of the crime takes place in a few neighborhoods, and a lot of it is gang-on-gang, etc. The odds of being a random victim of violent crime in an American city are extremely small.

I think it might be more your perception than anything else. I've been in a lot of American cities after dark, on foot, and never felt threatened.

Draft saved Draft deleted