1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada doesn't know how to wipe its butt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 3, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Moms write survival guide for coddled young adults
    http://www.canada.com/topics/lifestyle/story.html?id=e3e8fd70-c5eb-4774-b928-716543dcfc09

Sharon Hill , Canwest News Service

WINDSOR, Ont. -A son with scurvy because he thought he could survive on chicken wings and beer got two moms thinking they should write a book.

A guide to adulthood. A how-to book with things as simple as how to boil water and how to wipe your bum, and trickier tasks like tying a Windsor knot and managing your finances.

It was one of McKay's sons who got scurvy but Zarzour said her own teenage son's attempts at cooking show the book is needed.

``We'll start easy. Here's a box of chicken nuggets, go for it,'' Zarzour said recalling a classic case of confused cooking. ``And of course he's yelling out: `What's a cookie sheet?' I mean, how did I not remember to teach him what a cookie sheet was?''

Another exchange she recalled had her son, while following a recipe, asking: ``What's a tsps?''

``What do you mean tsps?''

``It's spelled TSP.''

``Teaspoon, honey.''

Zarzour said it's partly Baby Boomer parents and partly the society we live in that's to blame.

She said it's not that teens or young adults are dumb. (Who helps older adults with their cellphones and computers?) It's just that they've been micro- managed.

A generation that's been been busy taking cello lessons and playing travel hockey never learned how to vacuum, clean a bathroom or cook.

``I am certain not one of my kids knows there is a vacuum bag to take out, ''said Zarzour.

It's also about priorities. She's more interested in letting her kids get their homework done so they can get into university than making them clean toilets.

``We're trucking them around, trying to enrich their lives and feeding them in the McDonald's drive thru. It takes time to teach them how to cook. It takes time to teach them how to properly clean the bedroom. None of us really have that time.''

And kids don't take home economics in school or pick up practical skills such as sewing on a button - skills their parents likely learned in Brownies or Scouts. Now Zarzour wishes she'd taught her kids more about living in the real world.

Zarzour, who grew up in Windsor but now lives in the Toronto area, has 18- year-old and 12-year-old sons and a 16-year-old daughter. McKay's kids are older.

``Hers were sort of already out there making hilarious and stupid mistakes with their attempts to be independent,'' Zarzour said.

``Gradually, my own son started doing really stupid things. I said there's a book in this. We can't be the only ones.''

The book, published by Penguin Canada, sells for $24.

And in case you're wondering how to wipe your bum, the book recommends front to back - that's to move bacteria away from your genitals.

And wash your hands! The book tells readers how to do that, too.

Windsor Star

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not coddled. I just have people to wipe my ass for me.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you want to work at the Plain-Dealer, you're going to have to wipe your own ass.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's how you know you've made it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's some food for thought, f-t.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Canada may not know how to wipe its butt, but my kids can't even flush the toilet. So it all evens out in the end, it seems.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Unflushed toilets are pretty high on the list of (many) things that disgust me and drive me to fits of rage.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't even like the seat being left up in my house.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Geez, Ace. My cat is on par with your kids. A couple of years ago, I kept walking into my bathroom to find an ungodly piss stench. I just thought I either didn't flush the last time, or the loo didn't flush well enough. Then, in the middle of one night, I walked in on my cat pissing in the toilet. Hunched over the side. Giving me the "little privacy, huh!?!?" look. I dream of the day he 1) decides he can crap there, too, and 2) learns to flush.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bullshit.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, if my kids don't get better, I'm sending them to Canada.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

BUT I CAN WIPE MY OWN ASS! I CAN WIPE MY OWN ASS! /kid from Big Daddy

Draft saved Draft deleted