1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada beats U.S. in World Field Lacrosse Championship Game

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 22, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same response I'll have when Argentina beats the U.S. at the World Basketball Championship.

4. Hey now - let's not pick on Canada. They make great dry gingerale up there.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Just joshin'. Congratulations.

And we're gonna beat that Argentenian ass. Believe it. ;D

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

I care JR.
    Really.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. That is the first time I have read/heard Gary Gait's name in about 18 years. Dude was playing at Syracuse when I was in college. What's he still doing competing at anything except maybe recreational shuffleboard?

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Whats the big deal? The U.S. lost the championship to the country playing their "official sport"? I'm quite happy the gritty Americans were even able to compete with the lacrosse mad country also called Canada!

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Our official summer sport is box lacrosse, played on cement floors inside hockey arenas. This is the field version, which is only just starting to catch on in Canada.

JR is right, Gary Gait is probably the greatest lacrosse player who ever lived. He scored 21 goals in eight games and finished sixth in tournament scoring (tied for third in goals).

This may very well be his last hurrah as a player (he's retired from box and indoor lacrosse but not field lacrosse) and gives him the only thing he had lacked, a world championship. Here's a partial list of his other honours.

Minto Cup (Canadian Junior A) Most Valuable Player - 1986
    Minto Cup Champion - 1988
    Mann Cup (Canadian Senior A) Champion - 1990, 1997, 1999
    Mann Cup Most Valuable Player - 1997, 1999 (shared with twin brother Paul Gait)

NCAA All-American - 1987-90 inclusive
    NCAA Division I Champion - 1988, 1989, 1990
    NCAA Player of the Year - 1988, 1990
    NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player - 1990
    NCAA Division I Women's Champion - 1995-2001 inclusive (as an assistant coach)

Major Indoor Lacrosse League Rookie of the Year - 1991 (shared with Paul Gait)
    MILL/National Lacrosse League First Team All-Star - 1991-2004 inclusive
    MILL/NLL Scoring Champion - 1991, 1995, 1997-2000 inclusive, 2004 (last two shared with John Tavares)
    MILL/NLL Most Valuable Player - 1995-99 inclusive, 2003
    MILL/NLL Champion's Cup Winner - 1991, 1994, 1995 (as a player), 2006 (as a coach)
    NLL Second Team All-Star - 2005

Major Lacrosse League Steinfeld Cup Winner - 2001, 2002 (as a player), 2005 (as a player-coach)
    MLL Scoring Champion - 2005
    MLL Most Valuable Player - 2005 (shared with Mark Millon)

Co-creator of the "Air Gait" goal-scoring move, now banned from high school, collegiate and professional competition.
    Inducted into the National (U.S.) Lacrosse Hall of Fame in 2005
    One of the first five inductees into the NLL Hall of Fame in 2006

10. markvid

markvid Guest

You cannot watch a lacrosse match on ESPN (collegiate or otherwise) where Gait's name doesn't come up.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I had a lacrosse discussion with Orange Hat Bobcat Senior at the Toronto outing. What I found interesting is that in the U.S. lacrosse is an elite sport, played at prep school. In Canada, in my experience, it seems to be very much a blue collar game.

Anyone in a position to comment on this?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That explains a lot. I can't say I have ever watched a lacrosse game on ESPN. It's just something I don't follow. But I remember him from college because I went to another school that had a decent lacrosse team.

Draft saved Draft deleted