1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you plagiarize yourself?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gomer, May 24, 2012.

1. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Sounds like you handled it right.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Well, I wound up using the italics, and nobody complained about it (to my face, at least).

The guy who signs the columnist's paycheques didn't return my call until this morning and understood where I was coming from. Turns out he wasn't a big fan of bringing the guy back in the first place. Sounds like he might give him one more try - his next column is eight weeks away now - and hopefully it all turns out for the best.

More than anything I needed to vent to people who might understand. Thanks folks!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's technically not plagiarism, but I knew of several reporters/columnist who have been fired or disciplined for trying to sneak in recycled old stuff.

Particularly a bad idea for concert reviews and such.

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I know a guy who has written -- or filed -- the same column four times. I shit you not. Same column, four papers.

I caught it during Greatest Hits: Volume III.

No. 1 -- I can't understand why someone would be so lazy.

No. 2 -- I can't understand how someone can walk with balls so big.

5. JPsT

JPsT Member

Cheque yourself before you wreck yourself.

(Canadian, I'm assuming, Gomer?)

6. If the guy is getting paid and has eight weeks to come up with a column, surely he can give you something new.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

You betcha!

Draft saved Draft deleted