1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you lose it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Some of us are happy just to Kraft singles.

[​IMG]

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Couple of thoughts:

I think the best writers take a lot of chances when they're young. Some work, and some don't, so it's both a good and bad thing. The best young writers might hit one out of the park, but they might strike out twice. But when they hit one, it's something.

I think as writers get older, they probably find more of a groove and are more content with doubles then trying to go deep. But they rarely strike out anymore.

So the body of work over a year might be much more solid, but the high notes aren't quite as high, perhaps.

The flip side, to me, is being an older editor. Because I think in many ways, despite the way the medium has changed the words and style I allow, I'm better helping improve copy than I ever was. I think "coaches," to keep this crappy metaphor going, can improve because it's not them putting themselves on the line; they're only helping the writers, and the more they learn, the better they can be.

IF they keep an open mind, which can be a big if.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Bingo. I definitely think it's possible for one to "lose it."

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed.

Pantera just wasn't the same after Vulgar Display of Power.

Draft saved Draft deleted