1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you (briefly) go to the dark side and come back?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NotMyCat, Aug 30, 2007.

1. NotMyCat

NotMyCat New Member

Posting from a sock puppet…

I’m aware of a sporting group that needs someone to act as a volunteer PR person as they advocate for changes to something (a bit vague, I appreciate, but…).

It’s something I could easily do for them and would be interested in (I don’t cover this group in any way at my current job). However, I worry about hurting my chances of advancing to a larger paper by doing something like this.

On the news side this type of thing is clearly frowned upon. Is it in sports as well?

Ultimately, I appreciate, this is something I have to decide for myself, but I’m looking for the input of those on here—particularly those that make hiring decisions at papers.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

You may not cover the group, but someone else at your paper does (I assume).

So that could create some problems, or the perception of them.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

John Canzano says go for it. We've got to grab all the bucks or glory or resume entries that we can while we can.

4. NotMyCat

NotMyCat New Member

I see the blue...

This isn't about glory. It's about helping some people out (that need it) by writing a couple press releases.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If this is a temporary thing, I don't think it's that big of a deal (not knowing the particulars) but the biggest issue is whether your current bosses will allow you to do it.

If you do it on the sly and get caught, you could get fired.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Don't do it while you're employed at a newspaper. Even if there's no conflict of interest, you don't want to create the appearance of one.

7. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Obsessed much?

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Actually, it may not be something for you to decide yourself. Your paper should have a policy about these things.

9. Sure you can. I know a guy who took an SID job a couple years ago and this past summer received two unsolicited offers to go back to newspapers -- one from his old paper and one from a nearby shop.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Can't you just frame it that you're working as a "writing consultant" or a "media consultant" to the group, selling them your expertise and ideas rather than any shilling skills? Lots of people work second jobs and aren't obligated to the newspaper 24-7. I'm assuming that the group isn't going to use your name or your employment at the paper as part of its sales/persuasion job.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I believe he's talking about doing the PR thing while still working at the paper.

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Yeah, that's where the problem will arise. It's one thing to go over and come back. It's another to try and straddle the line and do both at the same time.

Draft saved Draft deleted